Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Here and there

I am now 9 pounds closer to my goal. Wow, nearly the first 10 off in two weeks. If only that trend would last!

We are going to Indianapolis this weekend to watch Linley in a cheer competition. The temperature will be between 3 and 13 degrees each day. The love runs deep and wide.

The other night Jill and I watched a football game and eat pizza with three other couples. Three husbands sat side by side on the sofa, beer in hand, and yelled and screamed at the umpires while I sat with the ladies and discussed wine and pizza pairings, the best way to poach an egg and speculated on whether Julia Roberts feeds her baby organic baby food (she does). When the evening was over the football fans high-fived each other and the ladies hugged me good-night. Now who do you think was the smartest man in the room?

I’ve had the opportunity to see many milestones in Meagan’s life – learning to walk, missing a tooth, first day in school, learning to drive, reading her college acceptance letter, etc. While I’ve witnessed a few events with Linley, they all have been only those that occur between the ages of 10 and 14. The “big ones” had already happened before we met or are still a few years away. But then, it depends on where you look. She hates needles. I’ve accompanied her on all but one of her emergency room visits (there have indeed been many) and my main purpose was to hold her hand when the syringes came out. This is true for the dentist and orthodontist, too. Once she left fingernail impressions in my hand that lasted for days. But yesterday at the dentist, where she was to have a cavity filled and we knew a shot was waiting behind door number 1, she looked at me and said, “I think I can do it by myself.” Before I could say “I’m not ready for you to grow up yet!” she was up and on her way. No jitters, no tears, no nervous jiggy dance. A half hour later, she came out with a smile and a new degree of self-confidence. I smiled and concealed my bittersweet mood, and then reminded myself I still have four years before she, like Meagan, leaves the nest too. It helped.

Well, I guess that’s enough for today. Thanks so much for visiting my blog. Now go out and hug somebody!

No comments: