Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Ramble

I haven’t posted anything yet this week because it has taken this long for my fingers to thaw. It was only -2 degrees Sunday morning in Indianapolis, with a wind-chill factor of 20 below. How do those folks live up there? Nonetheless, Linley’s team placed second in the national competition! Go baby girl, we are proud of you! And happy birthday, too (she’s now 14)!

The real reason I haven’t posted is because I’m working hard to keep my New Years resolution of writing 500 words a day. It doesn’t sound like much but when writing fiction it is damn hard. Not only do you write a story, you invent characters and construct conflict and chaos. Every page must have punch so that the reader wants to keep reading, and you must arrive at this punch without cliché or contrivance. It is indeed like weaving the most elaborate lie, one in which you cannot get caught.

I’m also reading a lot right now, examining how other writers write and succeed in their story telling. I’ve just finished reading for the second time one of my favorite books, “The World According to Garp” by the great John Irving (sometimes I think I am Garp reincarnated). Before that I read “The Butterfly House” by Marcia Preston, this morning I started “The End of the Road” by John Barth, and when I’ve finished that one, I’ll turn to the four Rabbit novels by John Updike. If only I could write so well.

Just found this kind review of “Why I Still Love You” on Amazon.com:

“It was probably easy to rationalize your love for your spouse on the day you married. Will that love stay alive, that is, will it grow as the years pass? Or will it stagnate? If it's real, Lang believes, it will never die. And he explains through the books 100-plus pages, many of the reasons why this is so. The reasons will often appear familiar. "I knew that," you'll find yourself saying as you read. But we occasionally have to be reminded. Lang opens by relating the poignant story of his observations on the 50-year marriage of his aunt and uncle. It's the kind of relationship all of us hope for as we wed, but few seem to achieve. The pages that follow list 100 reasons--contributed by successfully married persons--why love is still real. It all sounds so easy--and maybe it's easier than we let ourselves think. The best use for this little book is to keep it handy and refer to it once in a while. It just might prompt you to realize how very fortunate you are to have a life's partner.”

It makes me so happy when someone “gets it.”

Well, I guess that’s enough for today. Thanks so much for visiting my blog. Now go out and hug somebody!

No comments: