Monday, August 04, 2008

#500 and Back to School

I write heartfelt and inspirational stories about family relationships, stories that share wisdom and teach important moral and life lessons, stories from which children and parents might derive hope, guidance and a smile after reading them.

I collect written stories and conduct recorded telephone interviews to gather the information necessary to put together a story for my book projects. Stories are not published as submitted or told but rather are used as anecdotes told by me, the narrator, to help illustrate a message about teaching or cherished moments.

Please visit www.gregoryelang.com and click the red corner on the home page just beneath the “Projects” tab to learn more about what projects I may be working on.

The deadline to offer a mother-daughter story has passed. Please continue to visit this blog for updates on the book as it begins the last leg of its journey toward publication (Spring, 2009).

Now on to today’s post~

Wow, I can’t believe this is my 500th post.

Jill returns to work today, one week ahead of her students. She will busy herself with lesson plans and getting her room ready for the middle schoolers who will arrive with untold expectations and perhaps a little mischief on their minds. The occasion reminded me of a little tale a mother told me recently of a daughter who has already returned to school:

When I asked her how her first day of school was, I got the melodramatic heavy sigh and then she proceeded to tell me how AWFUL it was. Apparently the ONLY time she could see her friends was for TEN minutes during recess, she didn’t have enough time to eat her lunch AND she didn’t like anyone in her class.

I asked about the teacher, and she admitted the teacher seemed nice, but from her tone I could tell she wasn’t too sure about that yet. I asked her if she had homework (No), then I asked what they did all day. NOTHING, she tells me.

Apparently for whole first day of school everyone just sat there. At least that’s what she wants me to think.

While I tried to pry a little more info out of her, she began reading her To-Do list out loud and pretty much ignored me. “Empty lunchbox. Ok, done that. Feed the cats. (sighs, again very melodramatically) Cats, do you need food? You know,” she shouts my way, “I should be getting PAID for this!”

And a daughter recently told me of how her mother, who had shelved her academic ambitions to raise children, had returned to college well into her middle age:

Once my mom received her Bachelor’s Degree the only decision she had left to make was where she would go for her Master’s. There was no stopping the train now and she was ready to jump any hurdles she had to in order to obtain a graduate degree. When she graduated again two years later, I gave her this poem as a graduation gift:

Selfless, she was, so that I could grow
Making my priorities her own.
Standing behind my every move
It was she who taught me to stand.
Cheering loudly from the crowd
Building my confidence, building me.
Pushing me when I sat idle,
Comforting me when my world spun
In my weak and trembling hands.
Now I watch as she crosses the stage
About to receive her new reward -
Her priority and accomplishment.
Now I cheer loudly from the crowd
And my smile speaks of my pride
in the woman who taught me to stand,
My Mom.

Well, I guess that’s enough for today. Thanks so much for visiting my blog. Now go out and hug somebody!

No comments: