Monday, August 25, 2008

Father-Daughter Lunch

Welcome to my blog, a public diary chronicling the joys and frustrations of writing for a living, and a few points of interest along my life's meandering journey.

I write inspirational stories about relationships that share wisdom and teach important moral and life lessons, stories in which the reader might find hope, guidance, rekindled affection and a reason to smile.

Please visit http://www.gregoryelang.com/ and click the red corner on the home page just beneath the “Projects” tab to learn more about what projects I may be working on.

NOTE: The deadline to offer a mother-daughter story for “Mom’s Little Angel” has passed. Please continue to visit this blog for updates on the book as it begins the last leg of its journey toward publication (Spring, 2009).

Now on to today’s post~

I’m on my way to Athens today to see my little girl. She has been away from home for two weeks now and misses her daddy. She called the other day; the conversation went something like this~

Me: You sound like you have a cold.
Her: I do.
Me: You also sound a little blue.
Her: I’m homesick.
Me: Do you miss your daddy?
Her: Yes.
Me: What are you going to do when you get married, move your husband in with me?
Her: Yes.

So lunch with my kid it is, a pep talk peppered with hugs and kisses, and evidence of what I’ve always told her – I will be there whenever you need me. How sweet it is, to be a dad needed.

This mother-daughter story comes from Jessica:

“Writing a story about the mother-daughter bond isn’t as easy as it sounds. Mothers and daughters share so many wonderful memories and fun times throughout their years together. There are also many ups and downs that happen between a mother and a daughter. There are countless laughs, tears, and smiles.

When I first found out I was pregnant with my daughter, I can remember my Mom saying “You are going to be a great Mom!” I asked her how she knew that, how could she be so certain. She said that it was something that she just knew.

Here it is almost seven years later and I have to admit that my Mom was right. As soon as my little girl was born, the instincts kicked in and I was in love with being a Mom as well as with my little girl. My days were filled with tender touches, sweet breaths, cuddles, and lots of staring in utter amazement.

I think my Mom knew that because she was such a great Mom, that I in turn would be a great Mom too. All the things my Mom instilled in me, all the battles we had, all the talks, all the things she taught me, all the hugs and kisses, were passed on to me so that I could be a great Mom too. There are times when talking to my daughter I realize I sound just like my Mom, and I’m totally fine with that! I hope one day my daughter will say the same about me.”

I’m sure she will, Jessica.

If you cruise my blog and website you’ll see a new photograph appearing soon, much to Linley’s relief. Out with the photo of me wearing the “old weatherman’s haircut” and in with a new one of me in my more stylish, funky look. When the family is in the car Linley sits behind me and sculpts shapes in my hair. Usually I remember to jostle it before leaving the car, returning it to its mussed up splendor. But now and then I forget, explaining why sometimes I look like Alfalfa, other times like a UK punk fan from the late 80s.

Well, I guess that’s enough for today. Thanks so much for visiting my blog. Now go out and hug somebody!

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Thanks for posting my story! That was a nice surprise today!