Tuesday, August 19, 2008

A Few Truths

Welcome to my blog, a public diary chronicling the joys and frustrations of writing for a living, and a few points of interest along my life's meandering journey.

I write inspirational stories about relationships that share wisdom and teach important moral and life lessons, stories in which the reader might find hope, guidance, rekindled affection and a reason to smile.

Please visit http://www.gregoryelang.com/ and click the red corner on the home page just beneath the “Projects” tab to learn more about what projects I may be working on.

NOTE: The deadline to offer a mother-daughter story for “Mom’s Little Angel” has passed. Please continue to visit this blog for updates on the book as it begins the last leg of its journey toward publication (Spring, 2009).

Now on to today’s post~

Jill and I went to my 30 year high school reunion the last Saturday. I went with the hope of finding a few old friends and the nagging concern that we would drive two hours only to see scarcely familiar faces – we haven’t had a very good record of attendance in the past. Holy moly, I was worried about nothing. Over 700 people showed up! And I found there is truth in the axiom “True friends are true friends forever.” Yes, people have changed, myself included, but the bonds that were documented in the pages of yearbooks and since carried around in fond memories were given new life in those hours of the evening back in my hometown when hugs, kisses and phone numbers were exchanged and laughter was shared by all. I count myself among the blessed – I left with the reassurance my mark in those friends I have loved has not faded over the years, and I saw that they were happy to see their mark still on me, held dear in my heart.

Meagan has completed her first full week at the University of Georgia. When I dropped her off I promised to set her free of my fatherly nagging – I was going to call her only once a week, pointing out if she wanted to chat more often she could call me. As the facts show, I called her twice and she called or texted me a dozen times, including the call this morning as she was walking to her first class (Italian). She teasingly wanted to know why I hadn’t shown up to take a photo of her on her first day attending college classes, just as I had done at K5, 1st grade, middle school and high school. More proof of the axiom on which I have staked my writing career – once a daddy’s little girl, always a daddy’s little girl.

Linley casually brought up at dinner that she had broken the shower head off in her bathroom. Jill, knowing how stressed out I’ve been at all the cost and inconveniences of the system failures in our home of recent, waited nervously as I climbed the stairs to the third floor muttering a few ill-spoken phrases. It turned out to be only a broken piece of plastic in the nozzle, easy to fix. While I was up there I looked in the attic at the A/C unit we just had installed and found discarded PVC pipes from the old unit. With Linley recruited as an accomplice, I walked into the den with the pipes in hand and said, “Look what your daughter has done!” I promised Jill I wouldn’t write that she nearly wet her pants, so I won’t. But I can say Linley and I nearly did, watching sweet Jill try to explain how her child could not have possibly ripped those pipes from the wall. Another axiom to remember – mother’s always stand by their babies.

It has been nearly a month since Mom’s Little Angel was turned in to my Editor – still eagerly waiting for her feedback and will share it when it arrives. In the meantime, I’ve thought of another book project I will begin soon, one about true love stories.

Well, I guess that’s enough for today. Thanks so much for visiting my blog. Now go out and hug somebody!

1 comment:

Jessica said...

I've submitted 2 stories to Mom's Little Angel and even if I don't get my stories published, I wish you and book the best of luck. I truly enjoy reading your blog and your books!
Keep us posted on what the editor says :o)