Thursday, August 28, 2008

Hard Won and Now Relished

Welcome to my blog, a public diary chronicling the joys and frustrations of writing for a living, and a few points of interest along my life's meandering journey.

I write inspirational stories about relationships that share wisdom and teach important moral and life lessons, stories in which the reader might find hope, guidance, rekindled affection and a reason to smile.

Please visit www.gregoryelang.com and click the red corner on the home page just beneath the “Projects” tab to learn more about what projects I may be working on.

NOTE: The deadline to offer a mother-daughter story for “Mom’s Little Angel” has passed. Please continue to visit this blog for updates on the book as it begins the last leg of its journey toward publication (Spring, 2009).

Now on to today’s post~

A friend of mine from way back had this to say in a recent email (I thought it too good to keep to myself)~

“I don't worry about many things I used to and I am much happier and easier to be around in the process. Freckles are on my hands where they didn't used to be and gravity takes its toll as with all of us in our 40's and 50's but I have a sense of peace and serenity that has been hard won and is now relished… I am finally knowledgeable of who I am and what I can do… the only thing of wonderment is where I am going.”

Well said, my friend. And then there’s this touching tribute shared by Jamie:

“I cannot clearly recall her face when thinking back to my childhood memories but her presence was always a constant. My mom has always been an important part of my life and today she is my best friend; she is the woman I admire the most in this world.

My mom has strong values by which she lives her life; in my mind she defines the word 'good'. She has never been one to force her beliefs and life laws on others but rather has led by example. She is a 'glass half-full' type of person; although she has lived through some difficult times she chooses to focus on the positives and has always encouraged my brother and I to do the same.

My mom never expected perfection from us; she taught us that as long as we had tried our best then never should we consider ourselves having failed. It has taken me a long time to really grasp my mom's message but her words certainly helped me make it through the last three years. I completed my degree in the evenings while working full-time days and planned the perfect wedding in the midst of school and work. During moments of frustration, and there were many, I flashed back to my childhood, remembering my mom's words pushing me to try my best and to not be too hard on myself if the outcome was less than I had hoped for. On my graduation day my mom's pride was clearly written on her face and it meant no less to me as a grown woman than it did when I saw that same look on many occasions when I was just a child.

Mom encouraged my brother and I to be the unique individuals we were as children and teens and continues to do so today. Rather than scoff at my teenage phase of platinum blond hair and clothing three sizes too big, she embraced my individuality and bought me baby barrettes to wear in my pixie cut locks while pointing out funky finds whenever she came across something she thought I might like. It may seem minor to some but the fact that my mom never suggested that my choice of style was anything but acceptable meant a lot to me; she knew that no matter what clothing I wore I would still be her little girl.

I have always known that my mom would be at my side no matter who or what I became in my life. I am proud of the woman I have become today and I thank the most amazing woman in my world for loving and supporting me while living as the ideal model for mother, wife and woman, my mom.

Even today at 30 years old I am still my mom's baby girl. She still gives me hugs and kisses every time I see her and tells me she loves me each time we speak or write. I know that one day when I have babies of my own I will follow in my mom's footsteps: I will shower my children with hugs, kisses, love, support and respect. I can only hope that when my children are grown they will have as much respect for and pride in me as I do for my mom. I thank my mom for loving me for everything that I am and guiding me to become the woman that I am today.”

Well, I guess that’s enough for today. Thanks so much for visiting my blog. Now go out and hug somebody!

No comments: