Monday, September 15, 2008

Dog Redux

Welcome to my blog, a public diary chronicling the joys and frustrations of writing for a living, and a few points of interest along my life's meandering journey.

I write inspirational stories about relationships that share wisdom and teach important moral and life lessons, stories in which the reader might find hope, guidance, rekindled affection and a reason to smile.

Please visit www.gregoryelang.com and click the red corner on the home page just beneath the “Projects” tab to learn more about what projects I may be working on.

NOTE: The deadline to offer a mother-daughter story for “Mom’s Little Angel” has passed. Please continue to visit this blog for updates on the book as it begins the last leg of its journey toward publication (Spring, 2009).

Now on to today’s post~

A book update – the final draft has been accepted and the book has entered production! I expect to get my first line edited copy on Monday and then I’ll spend a few days reading through it, deciding whether I agree with the changes made (I almost always do, I’m a terrible speller and can’t accurately remember a single rule of grammar and punctuation). Great, another milestone passed!

For the benefit of a few new readers I’ve meet recently who, due to Jill’s participation in the conversation, have become fans of Princess’ blog: http://www.oneprettydog.blogspot.com/ (Let the record show I created that blog only as a gag gift for my wife, not as a gesture of attachment to the dog. Be that as it may, my wife operates under the delusion I am attached to the dog and am simply putting on a show when I dismiss the stupid mutt. Oh well, it's her delusion). By request and an arm twisted behind my back, I repost an entry I wrote almost two years ago:

“My wife is so dang beautiful I sometimes feel guilty she’s stuck with me. She’s sweet, attentive and a good soul, too. Her only shortcoming is her psycho-attachment to that little dog that annoys the beef stew out of me.

Let me explain by way of example: Jill is helping me revise my novel, TREES. I’m trying to drive up the conflict between the two main characters, hoping to add more drama to the story. Her valuable input sounds something like this:

“There needs to be a dog in this story.”
“I didn’t ask you to make it a dog story, I asked you to suggest how to up the conflict.”
“I know - they have an argument because he doesn’t want the dog to sleep on the bed.”
“Jill, it’s a novel, not an autobiography.”

Once my wife and I were sitting on barstools on the 24th floor of a great hotel in NYC, sipping great wine, chatting about the events of the day and looking down at the activity in Times Square. We spent part of our honeymoon in NYC, it is a place we like to visit when we need a getaway weekend; it represents romance to us. I watched her as she gazed at the street below. She looked beautiful; her hair pulled back, her face lit by the lights outside, her long elegant fingers delicately clutching her goblet, a bit of red lipstick on its rim. I reached out and placed my hand on her leg. “What are you thinking about?” I asked.

“I was just wondering what Princess might be doing right now,” she said. Damn that dog.

I do think Princess and I have one thing in common, though. Neither wants the other around. I believe this because yesterday after returning home from a hard workout at the gym, I decided to soak in the tub. I had almost fallen asleep when I heard something bumping across the tile bathroom floor. I looked over and saw Princess dragging a hair dryer toward me. When I told Jill she laughed her rear off, proud that her dog had the intelligence to understand that water and electricity don’t mix.

As you might guess, my wife was of the opinion that if I’d been electrocuted it would have been my own fault. It’s what I would deserve it seems, for denying my love for Princess.

When it comes to a dog, sometimes a husband just can’t win.

Well, I guess that’s enough for today. Thanks so much for visiting my blog. Now go out and hug somebody!

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Princess' blog is so cute! But then again I'm a sucker for a dog, so what did you expect ;o)

Ginny said...

How adorable! This post is great, and, yes, Princess is just as cute as she can be!! When one of those sweet little critters wiggles her way into your heart, (or in this case...into your wife's heart!)there is no turning back!