Friday, October 03, 2008

Circumlocution

Welcome to my blog, a public diary chronicling the joys and frustrations of writing for a living, and a few points of interest along my life's meandering journey.

I write inspirational stories about relationships that share wisdom and teach important moral and life lessons, stories in which the reader might find hope, guidance, rekindled affection and a reason to smile.

Please visit www.gregoryelang.com and click the red corner on the home page just beneath the “Projects” tab to learn more about what projects I may be working on.

Now on to today’s post~

A note I received yesterday: “Thank You for being my new favorite author. You and Mitch Albom are on the top of my list!” Now that’s good company (albeit a comparison I don’t deserve, it flatters me nonetheless).

I finished “To Kill a Mockingbird” last weekend and “The Great Gatsby” this morning, and while I’m tempted to read “Gods in Alabama” because I watched Jill laugh out loud so many times while she was reading it, I should face the fact that I am in the final edits of my own novel, “Trees,” thus instead must review “Eats, Shoots and Leaves,” “Grammar Snobs are Great Big Meanies,” “Rewrite Right” and “The Plot Thickens” to assure my own book is as polished as it should be before turning it over to an editor. Some might think that was a long sentence, but believe me I’ve constructed much longer ones; it emphasizes the rhythm of dialogue. And provides contrast to shorter sentences. See?

Mom’s Little Angel (don’t you love the cover?) is in the hands of the designers now and I should get a mock bound copy by the end of the month to review. I usually keep copies of the various stages of my books, from red-lined pages I printed at home to the Editor’s mark-up to the final product. I doubt I’ll ever be asked to donate my “papers” to a library, but at least the grandkids will have something to laugh about, and plenty of scrap paper to doodle on.

My photo show goes on the walls tomorrow with an official opening reception next Saturday; it will hang for a month. I’m showing 30 images from my Southern Allegories series. Regrettably, the gallery owner didn’t get the show listed in the Atlanta Celebrates Photography Guide, the big annual photography event in GA, and her website hasn’t been updated to announce my show, but who’s watching? UGH! Thank God for Jill who calms me with a few words, or dumps a bucket of water on me when cautionary words fail.

Last night we watched Linley cheer at a very exciting football game. She did a great job, our team won and it was loads of fun watching Jill cringe every time Linley did her tumbling routine, but the real agony was in the getting to and from. You see, my SUV holds 5 people and lots of luggage, or 7 people and some luggage. What it doesn’t do is hold 6 people, four gym bags, four loaded backpacks, five purses, two loaded ice chests and a grocery sack of chips and power bars. It was a crowd. And add to that all the uproarious conversations the girls were having with each other plus chatting with guys on their cell phones while singing too loudly to Bob Marley. I’m not sure which was worse, that or the blinding effect of driving home in the dark in a car full of girls each with her own with camera, flash blazing all the way home.

So back to Trees – I’ve added nearly 6,000 words, it’s up to 320 pages now and, I think, a better story than it ever was before. I so want to see this thing in print!

Well, I guess that’s enough for today. Thanks so much for visiting my blog. Now go out and hug somebody!

1 comment:

Jessica said...

You are a busy man! Good luck with "Trees"!