Friday, October 17, 2008

I luv u 2

I mentioned a few posts ago that I’ve been reading two humorous books: “Eats, Shoots and Leaves” and “Grammar Snobs are Great Big Meanies.” Both are laugh-out-loud funny and were quite helpful as I was completing the final edit of TREES. Both authors made the point that email and text messaging have done a great disservice to American punctuation and grammar usage. Let me offer an example (an exchange between Meagan and me):

Meagan: what does it mean when ur eyelid wont stop twitching
Me: Just a spasm not enough sleep
Meagan: its been doing it for 2 days n I’ve had lots of sleep
Me: Mine does it 2. Nothing 2 worry about.
Meagan: K sweet. Ps how’s ur hearing
Me: What?
Meagan: Your hearing duh
Me: That was a joke
Meagan: Dad that would only be funny if we were talking. We’re texting.
Me: Oh the irony
Meagan: Hahahahaha omg you r a faREAK. How is it 4 real
Me: No change
Meagan: Ugh lame at least you’re not blind
Me: Or stupid
Meagan: That’s debatable. We should learn sign language that would be so BA
Me: BA?
Meagan: Bad Ass DUH
Me: DUH
Meagan: Woohoo 92 on my poli sci midterm
Me: cool
Meagan: Calm down n get control of your excitement
Me: ???
Meagan: Sarcasm Eugene
Me: Who?
Meagan: You
Me: You what?
Meagan: Wait what? Now Im confused
Me: Me 2
Meagan: DUH
Me: I luv u
Meagan: U 2. Ps feel free to send a care package sometime soon

Good news – an Acquisition Editor has agreed to read TREES. The only words sweeter than “I’ll take a look at it” would be “We’d like to offer you a (insert nearly any six-figure dollar amount here) advance for the right to publish this amazing book.” I can daydream, can’t I?

Well, I guess that’s enough for today. Thanks so much for visiting my blog. Now go out and hug somebody!

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Good luck on the new book, that would be sweet to hear them say $1 million!

Anonymous said...

If the Book "Trees" is as good as the synopsis, I expect to see it in my library by my next birthday.
Congratulations;
Richard W.