Friday, November 14, 2008

Into the Woods We Go

Welcome to my blog, a public diary chronicling the joys and frustrations of writing for a living, and a few points of interest along my life's meandering journey.

I write inspirational stories about relationships that share wisdom and teach important moral and life lessons, stories in which the reader might find hope, guidance, rekindled affection and a reason to smile.

Please visit www.gregoryelang.com and click the red corner on the home page just beneath the “Projects” tab to learn more about what projects I may be working on.

Now on to today’s post~

It is official – my book sales have reached another Milestone – 3 million books (shipped to retail stores)!

I’ve seen the first pass pages of Mom’s Little Angel, including all the book design features and layout of the pages. It looks great! Now on to the next phase, the last step before heading to the printer. I’m excited about it; most of my other books feature Meagan prominently (I’ve been writing about her the longest), then Jill, and then Linley. This book, however, features Jill and Linley as main characters, along with Joann, my mother-in-law. I hope they are pleased with the end result.

No word yet on the four non-fiction and one fiction ideas I’ve floated past my editor, but I remain hopeful she will want to acquire at least one of them.

News on the Volunteer front: I’ve been touched deeply recently with the desire to serve, and so have joined the Global Outreach Ministry at our church. I’ll be working on efforts to improve the conditions of orphanages in under-developed countries, and ease the challenges of international adoption for families here in Atlanta. Exciting stuff; important stuff.

Just finished reading “Lord of the Flies” and tried to remember why it was my favorite book as a pre-teen. Came up blank. But now I’m reading “The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox.” Can’t put it down! It and the “Bright Forever” are shaping up to be examples of where I want my writing style to go, with a little Capote, Irving, Updike and Harper Lee tossed in for a truly robust reading experience.

Jill and I are off to Bryson City, NC and the Fryemont Inn this weekend to enjoy a few days in a rustic setting (no TV, Internet or phone in the rooms, claw-footed bathtubs and similar accoutrements from days gone by), long hikes in the deep woods, and a chance to take photos at the Joyce Kilmer National Forest, all pivotal settings in my novel TREES. I hope to get a shot suitable for the book cover.

Well, I guess that’s enough for today. Thanks so much for visiting my blog. Now go out and hug somebody!

No comments: