Wednesday, December 10, 2008

100 Dollar Bill

Welcome to my blog, a public diary chronicling the joys and frustrations of writing for a living, and a few points of interest along my life's meandering journey.

I write inspirational stories about relationships that share wisdom and teach important moral and life lessons, stories in which the reader might find hope, guidance, rekindled affection and a reason to smile.

Please visit www.gregoryelang.com and click the red corner on the home page just beneath the “Projects” tab to learn more about what projects I may be working on.

Now on to today’s post~

This story did not make the last cut of Mom’s Little Angel, but I want to post it for you as a good example of what is in the final draft of the upcoming book (Feb. 2009):

One Hundred Dollar Bill

Caroline was no less concerned about her appearance than all the other girls in middle school, each hoping to catch the admiring eye of the popular boys in class. For sometime she had pestered her parents about getting contacts, complaining that her large-framed glasses made her look like a nerdy bookworm or even worse. Mom had been the holdout on the switch – she was afraid Caroline was too young to effectively take care of contacts. But Caroline had a history of proving herself to be a responsible child and after many demonstrations of carefully following instructions from school and around the house, Mom finally gave in.

Although Caroline did take care of her eyes and contacts just as the optometrist had instructed, a year later she still found herself frustrated on occasional mornings when the eye drops stubbornly refused to land in the right place or the contact didn’t fit exactly the way it was supposed to. When she couldn’t take the frustration any longer, she packed up her contact supplies and trotted into her mother’s bathroom.

One morning while standing over the sink brushing her teeth, Mom looked up and saw Caroline entering the room. Noting this was happening every now and then and wanting her own space and privacy to get ready in her own bathroom, mom asked “Why do you bring all your contact stuff into my bathroom to put them in?”

“For some reason,” Caroline explained, leaning toward the mirror with a contact balanced on her fingertip, “it’s easier to get them in when I’m standing next to you.”
"Well then, I guess maybe I'm your lucky penny!" Mom chuckled, deciding to indulge her daughter’s presence in the bathroom one more time.

Just as the contact fell perfectly into place, Caroline replied, "No, you're more like my hundred dollar bill."Thereafter, Caroline was always welcome in Mom’s bathroom.


Well, I guess that’s enough for today. Thanks so much for visiting my blog. Now go out and hug somebody!

3 comments:

~Red Tin Heart~ said...

I stumbled across your blog by accident. I was immediately touched by the kind words about your wife and daughters you wrote.

~Nita~

~Red Tin Heart~ said...

I noticed you are a photographer as well as a writer. I love both.
I will have to check out your photos.
~Nita~

Jen and Jeff said...

Hi, Greg! Your a great writer and I LOVE the book Why I Chose You. Can't wait to share it with our daughter. Best wishes to you and I was happy to share it with the readers of my blog. Happy New Year!