Thursday, January 08, 2009

Blessings

This is an account of my efforts to put into action what I learn while reading the Bible. This is an account of my journey to become closer to God.

So after I finished reading Genesis I called Meagan to ask why Jacob, who was so deceitful in his youth, was chosen to be so blessed. Her answer was swift and sure: “He was made an example to show that you don’t have to be perfect to receive God’s blessings; all sinners can receive his blessing.”

A darn good answer, I think. It also best explains the purpose of hope, for if we imperfect beings, and we will all always be imperfect, cannot have hope for salvation in spite of our mortal failures, what do we have other than temporary pleasures and lasting despair? That is what faith (the hope of a Believer) does for you, I’ve come to believe, and that belief becomes more reinforced after each of my daily readings. Faith frees you from despair and avails you to blessings far beyond your worthiness. Simply put, as Jacob illustrated, you can’t get there (Heaven) from here except by the hand of God.

Sometimes I can’t believe what I’m writing; I’ve never talked like this before. But I’m going to keep doing it.

I love it when people leave comments on my postings, it lets me know that not only do my friends and neighbors accompany me on this journey, but others do as well. I’m in good company. These kind words were sent to me recently (after my post about falling asleep while praying):

“I don't see it so much as an unfinished prayer as a continuing prayer. He hears the yearnings and thanksgiving of your heart whenever they're uttered and however they're said.”

“I too often fall asleep before finishing my prayers and have wondered the same thing. As I have drawn closer to God I know in my heart that he hears all prayers finished or unfinished of the doers of his word.”

Additionally, a friend who corresponds with me now and then had this to say:

“My dad ties in very closely to my faith, because when I was a child, he made it easy for me to grasp the concept of a loving, forgiving, honored Heavenly Father. I don’t need to tell you how many children grow up fearing their fathers or being neglected by their fathers or questioning their fathers’ love. Those experiences inevitably impact their concept of a Heavenly Father. My dad made it easy to grasp the Father’s love. I have been truly blessed and for that I’m so very thankful.”

She is blessed indeed. My childhood home, on the other hand, was conflicted about the church – sometimes we went, sometimes we didn’t. Usually just my mother attended with the children, and then again sometimes I went alone. I regret it because I think we missed an opportunity that is now lost as we’ve spread far and wide pursuing our own lives. Yet, in my home we go to church as a family (although recently without Meagan who is away at college). Sunday mornings are some of the best times we’ve spent together. I hope the girls will one day look back at our home and say that God lived there with us too.

Well, I guess that’s enough for today. Thanks so much for visiting my blog. Now go out and hug somebody!

2 comments:

Ghost said...

Some of my dearest memories are from when as a child we attended church together with mom and dad and sometimes just mom. This was carried through in my teen years and I also attended parochial school and my Sunday training was reinforced each day in class and then again at home as we prayed together around the dinner table. Most of these things are missing today in family life and it really is showing as frayed around the edges of life when we see so much in the news about all the bad. But I perfect to turn my head and listen to my on line Bible reading or tune into my crochet hooks and dream of those who will wear or use my items made with love. I am a bit windy here but just felt compelled to speak today. Thank you!

Ginny said...

"Sometimes I can’t believe what I’m writing; I’ve never talked like this before. But I’m going to keep doing it."
Outstanding!!