Thursday, January 15, 2009

Bountiful

This is an account of my efforts to put into action what I learn while reading the Bible. This is about my journey to become closer to God.

Just to add a little color, I wanted to share a photo I took last weekend while at a baby shower. This is of my friend Mary Helen who is holding her first grandchild; she is four days old. Beautiful.

My friend Ginny offered this point of view in response to my post about bad things happening in people’s lives, titled “I’m a Beggar”:

“This question has been asked by Godly people in the midst of profound suffering, and it has been asked by those challenging the very existence of God. Many valid explanations are offered. For me, I rest knowing that an infinite and omniscient God works in ways that are far beyond my finite capabilities to understand. If I could fully explain all things pertaining to God, then it would diminish Him. That being said, I take comfort knowing that His eternal plan is always being worked out, and I trust His best for me, even when opposing circumstances present. Suffering teaches me to trust in Him. It exposes my need for Him. And that is ‘for good, according to His purpose’.”

Thank you Ginny, for your thoughts and for walking with me.

In my reading yesterday I found Matthew 6:27 and 34 to be rather weighty verses; I’m doing my best to understand them: “Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?” and “Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

I think this encourages us to get right with God today, do not be distracted from God’s calling by the demands of day to day life. Do not think there is a guarantee of tomorrow or next week for you to find time to talk with God; no earthly concern is so great that it should weigh more heavily on your mind than your relationship with God.

Also, maybe, these verses are to remind us that if we are strong in our faith, God will provide for us; we need not worry about tomorrow if we walk with God. I can’t remember which verses but somewhere in Genesis through Leviticus I read of promises to the people that those who loved the Lord and had faith in him would have fields that produced more than could be eaten. It is a parable of course, but it tells us our rewards for having faith are bountiful, thus the faithful should not worry for God will take care of everything.

Honestly, I do feel the weight of my worries lifting from my shoulders. I haven’t been irritable in weeks! Yes, things are bad on so many levels right now for so many of us, but each night after my prayers I smile, I sleep well, and I wake up grateful for what the new day holds. It’s wonderful, and I believe it is the result of Living the Word.

I know this all might sound over simplified and naively optimistic to a non-believer or even a believer clouded in doubt at the moment, and in all fairness it seems true a poor man of great faith is not likely to wake up in a castle in the morning. But therein lies the mistake we fallible mortals always make – we presume to know what the reward for faith should be and when it should be delivered. How could our small and imperfect minds possibly know the will and plan of God? Let me just ask you to listen to the words of a great country song by Garth Brooks, “Thank God for Unanswered Prayers.” Think about it; the answer will come to you.

I hope every tomorrow for Mary Helen's grandchild is indeed bountiful.

Well, I guess that’s enough for today. Thanks so much for visiting my blog, and please pray for me and my family. Now go out and hug somebody!

1 comment:

Ginny said...

It's a great walk, isn't it! Its wonderful to read, study, grow...and at the same time realize that you "haven't been irritable in weeks!" I love that!!