Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Calling

This is an account of my efforts to put into action what I learn while reading the Bible, an account of my journey to become closer to God.

Our lesson Sunday morning was about being called by God to obey his laws and fulfill our potential under the vast possibilities of his promises to his faithful followers. I am considering this lesson very personally. I, after taking four years off to focus on writing, am seeing the need to return to work during these unsure times. It is clear to me that I do not want to return to my former life as a corporate sales guy – traveling extensively about the country in pursuit of an elusive quota.

I admit it, I’ve gotten spoiled being at home, making breakfast for my family, taking care of our business during the week so that weekends are reserved for pleasure rather than tasks, and being at home each afternoon when my wife returns from her day spent teaching middle-schoolers.

Thus I’m considering new career opportunities and my heart is drawn to the non-profit world and academics. I’m not sure yet if I want to teach and if I do would that be high school or college, or become a fundraiser or program manager for a charitable organization.

And the deeper I get into my training with the Stephen Ministry the more I consider returning to a counseling role, but this time, if I do it, specifically as a Christian counselor. My writing and the relationships I’ve formed with those who have reached out to me after reading one of my books, and the joys I’ve felt when working with the ministries these last few months, have reminded me of my original goal in life when I emerged from my undergraduate program: I wanted to help people.

So I hear a voice calling me to do something different from the way I spent the first 22 years of my career, but I can’t yet quite hear what it is that I’m being called to do. Please pray for me so that my new calling becomes clearer to me, so I will choose the career path God has in mind for me.

Wow, I once prided myself believing I had all the answers. What foolishness. I no longer believe I have all the answers; in fact I accept the possibility that I may have none of the answers. But where once that possibility would have frightened me, I am now comfortable with the mysteries that in the past I, leaning on my own understanding, tried to explain to myself. I don’t care now if I don’t have all the answers for I know that God does. I am confident in his presence and his ability and desire to take care of the things that are beyond my comprehension. He, in his own time, will tell me of my calling if I continue to look to Him for answers.

Wow again. I’ve thought this way for years, albeit not consistently and always too quietly, but now there is excitement in my heart and I can’t stop myself from revealing my true thoughts about God. Openly merging my faith, thinking, and conduct is leading me toward a wholeness that I’ve never known, a wholeness I hope is pleasing to God. It sure tickles the heck out of me.

A side note: Ginny made me smile (again) when I saw her note: “I’m praying for you and your family … and I’ve already hugged someone this morning!!”

And that’s what it is all about – connecting with each other through the power and grace of God. Thanks so much for visiting my blog, and please pray for me and my family. Now YOU go out and hug somebody!

1 comment:

Nana said...

I love following your Journey to a closer relationship with God. You are on the right track and God will bring more blessings and peace in your life than you can ever imagine. God has certainly given you a place to share and I love following along. Stay in the Word and close to Him and He will direct your paths. I have hugged someone many times already. My precious grandson. Praying for you and your family.