Monday, January 05, 2009

Into the Light

Welcome to my blog. I write inspirational stories about relationships that share wisdom and teach important moral and life lessons, stories in which the reader might find hope, guidance, rekindled affection and a reason to smile.

Please visit www.gregoryelang.com and click the red corner on the home page just beneath the “Projects” tab to learn more about what projects I may be working on.

Now on to today’s post~

I’ve committed myself to an in-depth study of the Bible in 2009. These are my thoughts about what I read, as well as candid observations about myself and those who are traveling with me on this journey to become closer to God.

I was raised attending both Baptist and Methodist churches but I didn’t sincerely come into my faith until I was an adult, owing largely to my daughter and the need to help her with her Bible homework; she attended a Christian school from Kindergarten through the 12th grade. She and I began attending church together regularly about eight years ago and faith has since become a major subject in our day to day discussions. With the perspective of age and influence of our church, I have come to see many things in life differently, particularly in terms of our mortal fallibility and the redeeming power of grace and forgiveness.

Today I publically profess my faith when and where I can, certainly more so than I ever have before, but also, I must confess, certainly not nearly as often as I should.

I have lived most of my life as a Christian believing faith was a private matter, something I kept to myself or spoke of only when in the comfortable company of like thinkers. I failed to recognize then that one of my principle responsibilities as a Christian is to live and act as a representative of God. I came to this understanding after attending a lesson about the passage John 3:21 : “But whoever lives by the truth comes into the light, so that it may be seen plainly that what he has done has been done through God."

Since that day I’ve held the new belief that while my faith is indeed a personal matter, it can in no manner of speaking remain a private matter. With this post, I am moving into the light.

As often as I can during 2009, and I hope that will be every day, I am going to write about my pursuit of understanding the Bible. My goal is to put into action what I learn it means to live a Christian life, hence the new title of the blog, “Living the Word.”

I hope that you will visit this blog from time to time to read of my journey, and that my story of a terribly flawed, wretched individual like me who has been saved and lifted up by a Love greater that I can possibly understand, might help you in your own faith journey.

Well, I guess that’s enough for today. Thanks so much for visiting my blog. Now go out and hug somebody!

2 comments:

Ghost said...

Isn't it amazing how Jehovah can change a life once we make Him a personal friend.

Ginny said...

Greg...I'm so glad I stopped by your blog today. "Living the Word" is an amazing journey, indeed!