Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Twenty Days

This is an account of my efforts to put into action what I learn while reading the Bible, an account of my journey to become closer to God.

Today’s post really will be brief as yesterday was Baby Girl’s 15th birthday and I spent much of the day shuttling her and a carload of girlfriends all over the place, leaving little time for writing.

I also had my class last night and needed time to prepare. When reading my Stephen Ministry workbook I came upon the following passage (paraphrased): “Those who faithfully practice the spiritual disciplines of prayer, meditation, and study find that God uses those practices to keep them attentive and attached to Jesus.”

I have found this to be so true in recent months and even more so in the last 20 days since embarking on this Faith Journey. Where I once sought out God only while attending Christmas Eve and Easter services, receiving Communion and attending Baptisms (I still find witnessing someone being immersed and then pulled from the water an incredibly emotional experience; I cry each time), I did little else in between those occasions to connect with God. The profound, heartfelt emotions I walked away from those services with, the emotions that I let myself believe meant I was spiritual, eventually faded as I busied myself doing all the things that pleased me. Consequently, so too faded my desire to live a life that honored God, at least until the next important seasonal church service came around.

The last 20 days, however, have been very different for me. Praying earnestly each night, thinking about my life and how I want to interact with others as a representative of God in every day, and reading the Bible each day (I just finished Deuteronomy) has touched me; I’m happier than I’ve ever been and I already thought I was happier than I’d ever been.

What a difference it makes to put God first.

Finally, you'll notice the cover image of my new book, Mom's Little Angel, to the right. It will be available in a little less than three weeks.

Well, I guess that’s enough for today. Thanks so much for visiting my blog, and please pray for me and my family. Now go out and hug somebody!

No comments: