Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Twice Better

I’ve committed myself to an in-depth study of the Bible in 2009. These are my thoughts about what I read, as well as candid observations about myself and those who are traveling with me on this journey to become closer to God.

I am nearly 50 years old and nowhere near a Biblical scholar; my time in the church has been erratic until recently. My study of the Bible has been even more erratic; I preferred to intellectualize my beliefs and rationalize my departures from what I was told was Christian living. In doing so, I’ve had a lot of fun, yet I’ve experienced a lot of pain. I’ve also given a lot of fun to other people, and I’ve also caused pain to many people, including those I love. One day I thought my good deeds may not outweigh my bad deeds (as if that is a measure of anything).

Clearly, I finally came to see, my way wasn’t working.

The passage I read yesterday was Psalm 1:1-6 (paraphrased): Blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked … but his delight is in the law of the Lord, and on his law he meditates day and night.

Perhaps better than anything else I’ve read since making time each day to read through the Bible, this verse explains to me what it is I’m doing. I’m trying to turn away from my old, unfulfilling ways to set out on a new path, one on which I cannot be my own leader. God is my leader, and my wife and the friends in our church we’ve begun to surround ourselves with are my keepers.

I have much turning away to do, and I fear it will not be easy, but I believe I will be much happier on the new path I’ve chosen. Yet I remain fearful and many questions press on my mind. For instance, I say my prayers after going to bed and sometimes I fall asleep before I finish them (I pray all the time and have for years, but I was foolish enough once to think that alone was enough). So now I wonder, does God hear my unfinished prayers?

I don’t know yet if he does, so when I awaken and then can’t remember if I said “Amen” the night before, I just start over. Better twice than not at all, I think.

Well, I guess that’s enough for today. Thanks so much for visiting my blog. Now go out and hug somebody!

3 comments:

Ghost said...

A hug for you today also.

Ginny said...

I don't see it so much as an unfinished prayer as a continuing prayer. He hears the yearnings and thanksgiving of your heart whenever they're uttered and however they're said.

Scarlet's Yarn Barn said...

I too often fall asleep before finishing my prayers and have wondered the same thing. As I have drawn closer to God I know in my heart that he hears all prayers finished or unfinished of the doers of his word.

I found you through my sister Ghost. I am glad that I have.

Scarlet