Tuesday, February 03, 2009

33 Days

This is an account of my efforts to put into action what I learn while reading the Bible, an account of my journey to become closer to God.

There’s a bad bug creeping through our house and no one is sleeping well. We all sound like groaning steam locomotives leaving the station as we crawl out of bed. Yet life goes on, albeit a better idea to crawl back in the bed!

I just read Psalms 15:1-5 and rather than write it all down I want to focus on the few words that jumped out at me (paraphrased greatly): “He who keeps his oath even when it hurts will never be shaken.”

I have been writing about my faith journey since the beginning of the year. That’s only produced 19 posts to this blog so far, but in my life that is significant. I’ve never talked about God for more than a day at a time, but here I write about Him each day and when I’m not writing I am doing things in His service. And I’ve begun to experience a wonderful transition in my life; as I get closer to God I also get closer to others. As I give more of myself away, I gain in multiples here on earth and life in eternity to boot. I am happier than ever and have a clear vision about what I’m going to do with the rest of my life – exactly what I’ve been doing in the first 33 days of this year.

From the notes of encouragement I now receive almost daily, I know that many people remember my family and me in their prayers. For them I am thankful. The following is not at all to boast but to reassure you your prayers are leading to God-honoring results. Since January 1st I have:

Prayed every day, often several times a day. Sometimes it seems I never stop praying.
Been touched again by the desire to serve; I’m now involved in six Christian volunteer efforts and loving it.
Joined the Stephen Ministry and am only two months away from becoming a Christian caregiver.
Begun, for the first time ever, to meet twice a month with someone to talk about God over lunch.
Asked for forgiveness from some of those I’ve offended (and there are more still to get to) and have received forgiveness (powerful!!!).

Thank you all for helping me to arrive to this place. And to think there are eleven more months in my journey; just imagine where I will go. I’m excited about being, becoming, where I will eventually arrive.

Going back for a moment to the verse above, I have not yet faced a situation where my new found oath has been placed into jeopardy, but I know that either God’s tests or the Devil’s temptations will rise up and greet me one day. When that time comes for me to face that pain I know that the foundation I’m building between now and then will stand firm. I will not be shaken. I cannot; I can’t go back to the way things used to be, back when I was lost.

Well, I guess that’s enough for today. Thanks so much for visiting my blog, and please pray for me and my family. Now go out and hug somebody!

1 comment:

Nana said...

You may be on day 33 of your journey to a closer walk with God, but the rest of your life you will be on this journey and it only gets better with each day. Yes, you will face trials and temptations, but I truly believe you are strong enough to face these without failing. And if you do fail, you just get up, receive the forgiveness that is always ours and keep on your journey. I am praying for you and your family and look forward to reading your latest blog everyday.