Thursday, February 05, 2009

My Chair

This is an account of my efforts to put into action what I learn while reading the Bible, an account of my journey to become closer to God.

Between times spent in an unexpected veterinary visit (old age is taking its toll on our third child), a longer than expected wait at the car hospital, a 2.5-hour trip with Jill to meet her graduate school advisor (she’s beginning her Masters degree this summer; I’m so proud!), and a pleasant but unplanned meeting to discuss forming a Visual Arts ministry with another photographer at our church, I found little time to write yesterday. Not much to share with you today but this little story:

I’ve been thinking a lot about my post yesterday, wondering if indeed I’m being selfish and unrighteous in hoping God is blessing my writing career so that I may continue in the ministry work I’ve undertaken. It was on my mind all day, right up until when Jill and I had to attend a meeting with Linley’s grade chair at her school (thank goodness she wasn’t in trouble, just a planning meeting). We entered his office to find he was one chair short; I said I’d stand. No, he insisted, and he went in search of a chair.

When he returned with a chair for me he put it down and then with a methodical approach arranged it just so. I finally sat down and looked straight ahead and guess what my eyes landed on – a poster displaying Proverbs 16:3, which reads, “Commit your work to the Lord, and then your plans will succeed.”

Wow. I never understood before what people meant when they’d say they hear from God all the time, but now I’m getting it. When I ask, he answers. How sweet is that!

Finally, just because it flatters me (I fall for it every time, it’s a weakness), I’ll share a portion of an email I received earlier: “I got ‘Mom's Little Angel’ in the mail yesterday and can't put it down. I think you need to include a box of Kleenex with every book!"

Well, I guess that’s enough for today. Thanks so much for visiting my blog, and please pray for me and my family. Now go out and hug somebody!

2 comments:

Ginny said...

Good morning! My laptop is acting a bit tempermental at the moment. I just submitted a comment and it doesn't appear to have been saved. That being said, don't you just love it when God directs in unexpected ways. Rather than providing financial success (however we might define that), He provides "enough", whatever that might be. God always makes His will clear, but He doesn't always reveal the whole picture. Our response is to follow His will one step at a time.

...Keisha... said...

REALLY YOU WROTE THAT BOOK!!! I love it!!! Made me cry. Well thank you for letting me know! Your Awesome! Keep up the good work!