Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Never too far gone

This is an account of my efforts to put into action what I learn while reading the Bible, an account of my journey to become closer to God.

I finished reading Judges and will begin Ruth later today. I’m looking forward to Ruth; it is a story I am familiar with. It tells us one does not enter Heaven by blood or tribe of origin alone, that one with no connection to those led into the Promised Land but who have faith and a pure heart may also be with God. That’s good news because so far in the Old Testament is has seemed (to me at least) if one were not of Israel he had no place in Heaven. I think Ruth was a sign of things to come, a symbol of the news Jesus would spread, that all who come to Him are His children.

What did I get out of Judges, other than realizing Samson was a judge, something I had never heard? I learned that no matter how far we fall into moral decay, and no matter how often we fall, we are never too far gone. God always loves us and will answer our calls for Him. We see that over and over again in Judges - the people of Israel turning away from God and toward paganism, becoming detached from Him who had saved them, and when oppressed to their limits with pain and suffering brought on by none other than themselves, they remember God and return to Him. And each time he allowed them to come back into his fold.

How wonderful it is to realize that we cannot condemn ourselves beyond the point of forgiveness, that we can be washed clean again no matter how badly we soil ourselves, if we are truly repentant when we return to God.

You might recall I mentioned that I volunteer with the Movers and Shakers, the ministry that collects and then distributes donated furniture to needy families. A few Saturdays ago while waiting for the rest of the crew to show up, I had the chance to talk with the Director of the ministry. As it turns out they are in need of cash donations (to rent warehouse space, delivery trucks, etc.) and want to hire a fundraiser but have no money to do so. I stored that away hoping that when I finish the work I’ve already signed up for with all the other ministries I’m working with, I can give my time to the Movers and Shakers in a fundraising capacity.

You might also recall that a few months ago I had wanted to go into fundraising as a new career, but I’ve begun to believe that I should continue to write so that I may also continue to serve these ministries I love so much. I’m confident God will take care of the book business for me so that I can continue to serve. If that were not the case then it is a complete mystery to me why I see needs and hear requests for help everywhere I go, and discover I have the time and ability to lend help.

Before sitting down to write this post I read two Verses that will be on my mind the rest of the day: Let all that you do be done in love (1 Corinthians 16:14), and Be transformed by the renewal of your mind (Romans 12:2). That’s plenty to think about, smile about, and be grateful for, I think.

Well, I guess that’s enough for today. Thanks so much for visiting my blog, and please pray for me and my family. Now go out and hug somebody!

No comments: