Friday, February 20, 2009

Nudge

This is an account of my efforts to put into action what I learn while reading the Bible, an account of my journey to become closer to God.

Today’s is going to be a short post – I’ve got to run out to get Baby Girl from a sleepover and I’m writing this as I post it rather than during the night before, which is my custom. I didn’t write last night because instead I attended a long meeting, one Sponsored by the Community Outreach organization at our church.

Community Outreach (CO) is just what it sounds like: it is a body within the church organized to put volunteers into action in places of need within our community. Not only has Community Outreach formed its own ministries, it serves other ministries not founded in our church, providing volunteer support, funding, and professional services to help the ministries fulfill their missions. Community Outreach is one of the entities with which I volunteer.

I attended last night at the invitation of the Director of CO, to be introduced to the leaders of the various ministries that come under the CO umbrella. I have offered to write for these ministries, developing stories about their missions in order to convey to the public what they do, how God is touching lives through the ministries, and of the need for still more volunteers.

What I didn’t know about the meeting was that a speaker was there to give a talk about fundraising. Do you remember how I wrote a few weeks ago that I was pondering a job in the fundraising field, but wasn’t sure if that is what God wanted me to do? And how I decided to forge ahead with my writing career, even though I thought I needed to get a job, hoping book sales would be enough to allow me to dig deeper into the volunteer roles with the ministries? You can imagine, then, how tuned in I was to what this guy had to say.

Guess what he said: to succeed at fundraising in a tough economy such as what we have right now a ministry has to be able to articulate its story in order to inspire people to give during challenging times.

Are you thinking what I’m thinking? Do I get to continue as an author, AND help with fundraising? Not only help one organization, but many? I can’t tell you how deeply stirred I was when all eyes and smiles turned toward me when I was introduced to the ministry leaders as the one who was going to help them articulate their story. Before I could sit down many eager hands were reaching out for my card.

The only way God could have gotten my attention any better would have been to snack me upside the head.

I asked you to pray for me that God would turn me around if I were not doing what he wanted me to do. I, if I may be so bold, believe my and your prayers have been answered. Not only has God not turned me away from this path I’m on, I’m pretty sure he’s nudging me right along to make sure I continue to follow it.

Well, I guess that’s enough for today. Thanks so much for visiting my blog, and please pray for me and my family. Now go out and hug somebody!

2 comments:

Nana said...

God is using you in a big way and opening many new doors for you.

Amy L. said...

Your blog itself is inspirational, Greg. I sometimes just visit when I need a little pick me up or feel discouraged. You are a breath of fresh air and God is doing amazing things through you.