Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Opportunities

This is an account of my efforts to put into action what I learn while reading the Bible, an account of my journey to become closer to God.

As I read 1 Samuel (I’ve just gotten to the introduction of David) I can’t help but think one of its messages is to warn us of the corrupt temptation of power and fame. Saul could have been a noble warrior and king, but no, he let his head swell after victory and praise and then pride and greed clouded his thinking. Funny how a little bit of success and recognition can go to your head and make you think you are more important than others. I don’t want to get all political this morning but if I could I would make 1 Samuel assigned reading for our present national leaders. No doubt there’s a few swollen heads in D.C.

I’ve confessed in the past how much easier I find it to walk the Walk among strangers and newer friends than alongside friends I’ve had a while who know me not as a Christian but as the wild and crazy gut next door. It is a weakness I’ve been working on and I think I’m making progress. Word is getting out that I’ve become very involved in our church and its ministries and I’ve been overheard having God conversations with neighbors during recent neighborhood gatherings. Now it is time to, as Emeril would say, to kick it up a notch.

Our church encourages us to organize neighborhood congregations. I’m not entirely sure what the role of a neighborhood congregation is, I think it is to provide a network for us to call upon in times of need as well as a gathering for community prayer and Bible study. But whatever it is, I’m about to get neck deep in one. A month or so ago a neighbor who also attends our church mentioned her desire to start a neighborhood congregation. I offered to help. Nothing has been said since until yesterday when I found an email from her – she’s ready to get started. I gave her the dates I’m available in March to begin work forming this congregation and later today I’ll begin reading about what I’ve signed up for. Whatever it is, though, I believe it is good for me to do. It’s nice how God gives us the opportunities to put into action what we profess to believe. Some may say such occurrences are tests of our faith, but I see them as opportunities to live in God pleasing ways.

Indeed, Walking the Walk and Living the Word gets easier every day. All thanks goes to Him who gives me strength and courage in answer to my prayers.

Don’t forget, if you can watch FamilyNet television on your cable package I’ll be on EveryDay with Marcus & Lisa tomorrow sometime between 11:00 – Noon EST.

Well, I guess that’s enough for today. Thanks so much for visiting my blog, and please pray for me and my family. Now go out and hug somebody!

No comments: