Thursday, February 19, 2009

Transformation

This is an account of my efforts to put into action what I learn while reading the Bible, an account of my journey to become closer to God.

I’ve begun to think of many Bible verses in short, easy to remember phrases. For example, I’ve boiled down Proverbs 4:20-27 to this: “Guard your heart, look straight ahead, and do not swerve.” I don’t mean to reduce the Bible to Spark Notes, but I’ve never been very good at memorization so have had to rely on mental tools like this to help me. At the very least, if I’ve been able to remember a few of these and then find the occasion to repeat one to someone one day, I’m still spreading the Word. I never thought I’d do that, spread the Word, but as I said on Tuesday, I’m being transformed by the renewal of my mind, And none of the credit is mine, of course. We all know to whom the credit goes – God, our Father.

I’ve heard the term “fruit” rather often in the last few weeks, sometimes in reference to tithing and other times in reference to the prosperity that comes to you when you are a Christ follower doing God’s work. You and I speculated ten days ago that perhaps the surge in publicity I’ve received recently is the fruit God has allowed to bloom in my life. Well gosh, now He is filling my storehouse to overflowing! Next week I appear on another FamilyNet show, EveryDay with Marcus and Lisa. FamilyNet is owned by InTouch Ministries, a Charles Stanley enterprise. This show reaches 24 million households! I never dreamed I’d have the opportunity to talk to so many about my books, which really is my opportunity to talk about God-centered families. Thank you, Lord; I pray I serve you well.

Speaking of transformation – let me tell you this. There was a time when if I spoke with others about my feelings and attachment to God it was never with enthusiasm, but always embarrassment. I often said things like “I love Jesus, but…” and went on to explain, in a very self-indulgent, intellectual way, why I was not acting like a Christ follower should. One of the things I’ve been worried about recently is how to naturally begin to talk about my new relationship with God, to share my love and enthusiasm for Him in a way that was both comfortable to me and listenable to others. This subject came up the other night during the Stephen Ministry training. After all, our goal as caregivers, aside from lending counseling services, is to eventually introduce our care receiver to the Ultimate Healer.

Our Instructor said, “Don’t worry about it. If you are filled with the Holy Spirit, God will show up when he is supposed to.” I stored that away, hoping it would indeed be the case.

Yesterday I got a surprise call from a friend of mine who I haven’t seen in two years. She wanted to meet me for lunch. We weren’t at the table for more than fifteen minutes when, surprise, God showed up. We had never spoken about God before but then suddenly there we were doing just that. She even said she thought God brought me into her life for a purpose and that is why she called me about lunch; she wanted to talk about something she knew I would understand.

I know I’m rambling, please forgive me. What I’m trying to get to is this: I’ve learned that God is everywhere you look, if you have the desire to find Him. Amen.

Well, I guess that’s enough for today. Thanks so much for visiting my blog, and please pray for me and my family. Now go out and hug somebody!

1 comment:

Ginny said...

Please...no apologies for rambling. What a phenomenal post! The more we realize that God "shows up" and the more we expect Him to, the more His power and grace is at work. He asks us fundamentally to be available as willing vessels to share His love and power and forgiveness with others. My pastor often says, "it's all about the mission". Indeed!