Monday, February 23, 2009

Washed

This is an account of my efforts to put into action what I learn while reading the Bible, an account of my journey to become closer to God.

Much of my Bible reading leads to self-examination, a time to consider the ways of my youth, make a list of my transgressions so that I might go about righting them, and make decisions about how I’m going to conduct myself each day forward.

Sometimes my memories take me to places where I’d rather not have gone, to dark recesses where what hides in corners threatens to take away any peace, comfort and joy I’ve since enjoyed in my life. In moments when facing those corners I sometimes wonder how can it be that God would love me, save me, and let me be with Him.

Yesterday I read Psalm 40:2, “He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire; he set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand.”

I know that today I am standing on a rock. I know, too, that I have done nothing to become deserving of this firm place to stand. I am here but by grace. That is what propels me forward every day now - the knowledge that no matter how wretched I have been, how deep into the mud and mire I may have sunken, Jesus held out his hand for me. He was willing to let me be with Him, if only I would love him and choose to follow him.

This morning I finished reading one of the workbooks for the Stephen Ministry class I’ll attend tonight. I underlined this sentence: “Do not merely listen to the Word and so deceive yourselves - do what it says.”

So I begin my Monday washed clean of mud and slime, forgiven for the dark things I have done, filled with love and a burning desire to do as Jesus would do, and I face the day with a plan to do what the Good Book directs me to do. And as I go, I know also that it is only by the strength God gives me in response to my constant prayers that I do not slip back into the pit. Thank you, my Lord; you comfort me.

Well, I guess that’s enough for today. Thanks so much for visiting my blog, and please pray for me and my family. Now go out and hug somebody!

No comments: