Thursday, March 19, 2009

Details

This is an account of my efforts to put into action what I learn while reading the Bible, an account of my journey to become closer to God.

I believe I mentioned earlier this year that my habit of prayer had been irregular at best most of my life. I prayed when I was afraid, when I wanted something, and when I was guilty. I almost never prayed thanks unless I thought a prayer for rescue had been answered. I never prayed for wisdom, guidance, or that God’s will be done in my life. I could handle all those details, I thought.

But at the beginning of this year I vowed to pray every night. To tell the truth, I may fall asleep without having prayed a few nights a month, but that’s ok because I do pray several times a day, every day. God and I talk a lot now. I’ve finally realized I cannot handle all the details of my life, so now I ask Him for wisdom, guidance, and to show me His will. My days are indeed more comforting to me when I surrender myself to Him rather than continue to walk as if I were in control of my own destiny.

One day it occurred to me that if my prayers for myself and my family are so comforting in my life, how much more comfortable might I be if I asked others to pray for us? So in this blog I began asking for your prayers, and through your notes I’ve been reassured that you do prayer for us, and I do truly feel even that much more comforted.

But I had to deal with the fact that I was still in a comfort zone – I can’t see you, and you can’t look me in the face and assess my sincerity. I realized that an important step for me to take in my effort to Live the Word was to ask the people I see face to face to pray not only for me, but with me.

I have to tell you, the first time someone prayed over me this year I came to tears. My yoke was becoming even lighter on my shoulders! Good things were happening in my life, in the lives of my family members, and I came to realize that just in the same way having faith was not to be a secret or private matter, prayer was not meant to be reserved for private moments. Soon I began making prayer requests; some would promise to remember me in their prayers, others would take my hand and pray with me right then and there. Wow, the feelings that come into your heart when someone asks God to be with you are so powerful!

I am doing something for a gentleman who asked me how he could repay the favor. I simply asked him to pray for me. He did not consider that to be a generic request, he wanted to know specifically what I wanted his prayers to address. I began asking him to pray for this or that, and he would immediately go into prayer with me. What a reward!

The other day something didn’t set well with me and I became angered. I felt a surging energy that I knew could be destructive if I didn’t control it. So I went to Chip and when he asked me, “How are you?”, I answered, “I’m troubled.”

I told him about what had upset me and asked him to pray that God would grant me the wisdom to properly see the situation and then respond to it accordingly. He did just that, I felt better, and when I arrived home a half-hour later I revisited the matter and discovered that the problem was with me, I was overreacting to my own misunderstanding. My anger fell away from me, and I saw things differently.

I saw things the way God wanted me to. That is what Chip prayed for, and his prayer was answered before I, trying to handle the details on my own, mucked everything up.

You might say I’ve finally learned that God should be in everything I do, all things big and small.

Well, I guess that’s enough for today. Thanks so much for visiting my blog, and please pray for me and my family. Now go out and hug somebody!

No comments: