Thursday, March 26, 2009

Focus

This is an account of my efforts to put into action what I learn while reading the Bible, an account of my journey to become closer to God.

I’ve created a blog for the Community Outreach department of my church, Perimeter Church. It will feature stories about the many ministries the church supports, as well as the volunteers who serve in the ministries. From time to time I have and will continue to post on this blog some of the content I post on the church blog, but the church blog will not be autobiographical like Living the Word is. This blog is about my spiritual journey, whereas the other one will exclusively feature praise stories intended to inspire people to serve. If you’d like to take a look, visit Touched by Service at http://www.touchedbyservice.blogspot.com/.

While working on that blog I searched for scripture that referenced serving others. The one that really resonated with me is: “Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering God's grace in its various forms.” 1 Peter 4:10.

I suppose that verse explains best what I’m attempting to do these days. There is no explanation for how a sinner like me came to enjoy such a good life and the love of a wonderful woman except by the grace of God. Recognizing that, I hope I’m becoming even a fraction as good to others as God has been to me.

Another scripture I’ve thought a lot about recently is Jeremiah 29:11-13, “For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you search for me with all your heart.”

As I’m approaching the end of the first three months of my journey, I realize I’m praying nearly all the time, talking about God without reservation, crediting Him for everything that occurs, and seeking more opportunities to glorify Him. In my prayers I always ask Him to use me, and to reveal His plans for me. As I began my volunteer work I cast a large net, trying to do as much as I could and hoping to find a home for my volunteer heart. I’ve been waiting for focus to come, and now I think it has.

This morning I woke up knowing that I’ve found six places to invest my efforts, and in them I will begin to dig in and go deep instead of continuing to spread myself out wide. I will 1) continue to write and edit for Perimeter Church, including the blog mentioned above, 2) pick-up and deliver for Movers and Shakers, the furniture ministry, 3) pick-up and deliver for the Children’s Restoration Network, the ministry that provides goods for homeless children, 4) mentor for fatherless boys (orientation begins this Sunday, I’m excited),5) serve as a counselor for the Stephen Ministry, and 6) play a number of roles for The Good Samaritan Health Center.

I believe I’ve found a good home at Good Samaritan. There I will volunteer as a counselor and serve in marketing and development roles where I will recruit volunteer physicians and help with fundraising. After all these years I’ve circled back to healthcare, but this time for a higher purpose than ever before.

How sweet it is to have God answer my prayers.

Well, I guess that’s enough for today. Thanks so much for visiting my blog, and please pray for me and my family. Now go out and hug somebody!

No comments: