Monday, March 30, 2009

James 1:27

This is an account of my efforts to put into action what I learn while reading the Bible, an account of my journey to become closer to God.

I wish I could remember ever scripture I’ve read thus far so when an occasion arises when I could use it I could confidently say, “In Book So & So, Chapter Such & Such, Verses This and That, it says….” But I cannot. Instead I can only summarize a verse and reference it by saying “somewhere in the Bible….”

Today is one of those times. Somewhere in the Bible it says man should not boast of his good deeds so that others may praise him. I wrestle with this because at times I fear that simply by writing on this blog I’m boasting about my walk with God. Yet you know of my desire to Live the Word and this blog is the only way I can communicate with you about my journey. You cannot see my activities; you cannot hold me accountable or admonish me if I do not tell you about what I am doing. So I write and pray that my words are not boastful.

Yesterday was a big day. God really spoke to me.

Months ago when Jill and I attended our first service at our church, a man spoke about mentoring and adoption. In his teaching he referenced James 1:27, “to look after orphans and widows.” That sermon was what inspired me to serve, and if you’ve been following this blog you already know much about how I have chosen to serve in various ministries in my community, including my decision to become a mentor to a fatherless boy.

Yesterday was the orientation to mentoring, the class where we learned what is expected of us, about how we would be matched to a boy, what to do if things don’t work out, etc. Only a few pages into our workbook, I looked down and saw a passage written across the top of a page. It was James 1:27.

During the discussion about the situations these boys live in, a particular case was mentioned, a boy whose mother is waiting for a lung transplant. At the end of our three hour meeting we were to go home and think about whether we really wanted to do this, and if so, to complete a profile that would help the leaders match each man to a boy. I knew about this process and had been asking myself if I should “choose” my ideal boy, or let God lead me to one. I hadn’t decided yet what to do. I looked at James 1:27 again, and then I spoke up.

“The boy with the mom needing a lung transplant – does he have a mentor?”

“No.”

“Is it likely his mother will die?”

“Yes.”

“Does he have any other family to take care of him?”

“No.”

“I want him,” I said.

The only other thing I know about him is that he is twelve years old. I will learn more in the coming days, and I will find out his name and meet him after I’ve passed a background check. And then I will do my best to be a friend to him, and whatever else may come.

I’ve been asking God to use me, and in the last few months I’ve believed that He has been. But now I think He was just testing me, to see if I would stick with the ministries and volunteerism I became involved with, leading me to that meeting only after I have shown my heart to be truly open to His commission.

Yes, God really spoke to me yesterday; I heard Him loud and clear. And I will do as He has asked me to do.

Well, I guess that’s enough for today. Thanks so much for visiting my blog, and please pray for me and my family. Now go out and hug somebody!

No comments: