Monday, March 23, 2009

Random Monday Thoughts

This is an account of my efforts to put into action what I learn while reading the Bible, an account of my journey to become closer to God.

We are back in town although we arrived home much later than planned. It’s hard to leave the beach when the weather is so nice and the kids are having fun. I’m still sleepy and haven’t finished unpacking, and it’s Linley’s last day of Spring Break so I’m sure to be doing something at the last minute today to accommodate her wishes before she returns to school tomorrow. In other words, I expect a hectic day.

I did finish reading 2 Samuel and am about to start 1 Kings today. As I understand the hints laid out in The Bible for Blockheads, it’s going to be a confusing read, and another one covered in bloodshed. Sometimes when I watch the news I’m left speechless trying to understand when so many people kill each other in the name of their religion, but I’m learning now that it has been that way all along. It is unsettling to me to say the least. I hope as I continue to read the Bible the reason for all the violence will become clearer.

Only two more classes to go to complete my Stephen Minister training! I’m glad too; I’m eager to get started.

I did sign-up to be a male mentor, but at our church instead of the public middle school nearby (still interested in that too but haven’t heard back from the school). It seems there are a number of fatherless boys in our congregation who are in need of a male role model. I’ll learn in a few days who I’ll be paired to; all I know is he will be somewhere between 8 and 14. Pray for me as I begin this new adventure, that I will be a good influence on a young man and will teach him what God would want him to learn.

Well, I guess that’s enough for today. Thanks so much for visiting my blog, and please pray for me and my family. Now go out and hug somebody!

1 comment:

Ginny said...

Serving as a mentor to a fatherless boy in your church - what an amazing opportunity to make a difference. You'll make life impacting memories to last last him a lifetime.