Monday, March 09, 2009

Ransom

This is an account of my efforts to put into action what I learn while reading the Bible, an account of my journey to become closer to God.

This is going to be a busy week; I have interviews arranged with three different ministries. Today I spend the afternoon in the International Village learning about Whirlwind, the ministry that provides after school tutorial help and English classes to immigrants living in apartments in the area. Thursday I am with Good Samaritan, a medical clinic serving those without medical insurance, and Friday I am with Street Grace, a ministry combating the sexual exploitation of children. All these folks do good work in the name of the Lord while introducing their constituents to the Gospel. Please pray for me that I might represent them well and bring awareness about and focus on their respective missions.

Jill and I have become official members of Perimeter church! Our meeting with the Elders was harmless enough; we each told our stories and answered a few questions about beliefs, and were then welcomed to the church. I haven’t been a member of a church in over thirty years. It feels good to have a church home again.

Someone wrote to me and asked what happened to cause me to become more interested in God and the church, what did I do to become motivated to work on my faith. I told her I had been feeling God’s press on me for a long time. Although I was rebellious, it was never the case that God was not on my mind. One day I finally admitted I could not save myself, that in fact I was slipping deeper into an abyss even as I was trying to be good and do good things. I also still had bad thoughts and committed bad acts. That was when I realized nothing I could do would add up in value to equal the ransom necessary to save my life. I also realized that Jesus had already paid my ransom; I just needed to embrace him and thank him for it.

In Matthew 10:38-39 we read, “…and anyone who does not take his cross and follow me is not worthy of me. Whoever finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it.”

To me that passage pretty much sums it up. Living life to the glory of self rather than the glory of God is a dead end street.

Well, I guess that’s enough for today. Thanks so much for visiting my blog, and please pray for me and my family. Now go out and hug somebody!

No comments: