Thursday, March 05, 2009

The Rest of the Story

This is an account of my efforts to put into action what I learn while reading the Bible, an account of my journey to become closer to God.

The following is the conclusion to the story I began yesterday:

I looked up and saw a church bus pull into the parking lot, and moments later a half-dozen laughing teenagers spilled into the café. They were accompanied by Leroy, a teacher with the Norcross Christian Learning Center, and Cory, a former student and graduate of the high school who remains involved in the program as a volunteer.

Cory told me of how, through the classes, he learned about Islam, Judaism, Atheism and Christianity, and the contrast and comparison discussions led by Lee and Leroy reinforced his own beliefs to the point that he decided to attend seminary school himself. Today he studies Apologetics and is passionate about defending his beliefs. More fruit.

When I could coax him away from the students who were vying for his attention, Leroy described the same challenges and rewards I had heard earlier from Lee, but added his own faith is strengthened by his relationships in the classroom. “Watching theses kids evolve in their faith, or motivating one to even consider a relationship with God, is very inspiring to me,” he said.

Many students, like Cory, stay in touch with Leroy after they’ve taken the classes and graduated, calling on him for Christian guidance and support. “I know that we are helping them to stay on straight paths,” he added before responding to calls that he return to the table.

Shortly all had consumed their breakfast and it was time to return to the school. Just before they boarded the bus I snapped a photograph. Before me was an unlikely group of friends, yet at the same time, an affectionate cohort of Believers, all because of the Norcross Christian Learning Center.

As the bus drove away I remembered something Lee had said: “High school can be a difficult and dark place for many students, and sometimes we may not see the results of what we’ve done there. But I think if all we’ve accomplished in the short term is to introduce a few students to God then its all worth it. Nothing we do in God’s name is in vain.”

Amen.

P.S. I'm going to miss Paul Harvey.

Well, I guess that’s enough for today. Thanks so much for visiting my blog, and please pray for me and my family. Now go out and hug somebody!

1 comment:

Rich said...

there's that word "Apologetics" again