Friday, March 27, 2009

Wise Yet Weak

This is an account of my efforts to put into action what I learn while reading the Bible, an account of my journey to become closer to God.

I’m in the initial chapters of 1 Kings and learning about Solomon and his reign. What I know about this book is that Solomon asked God for wisdom, and he was then made the wisest man the world has known (remember the cut the baby in half story?). Yet, over time, in an effort to appease many, the King began to turn away from fully following God. He soon pursued every avenue he could think of to find satisfaction and happiness, only to always arrive at dead ends. It reminds me of my former secularized religion, me being a believer but living for my own comfort (thus sinfully) rather than God’s purpose, a guy with a foot on each side of the line dividing the faithful and the unfaithful.

As we all know I’m no Biblical scholar, but I’m beginning to believe that 1 Kings teaches two lessons: to turn away from God is to begin a slide into not only moral decline, but the end of true joy and happiness. Secondly, that even the wisest of us all commits sins; we can aspire not to be sinful but we will sin because we are imperfect beings. This means 1) we can never turn away from God because it is only through Him that we can be redeemed from our sins, and 2) we shouldn’t be scornful of sinners for even the best of the righteous are vulnerable to sin. So be not self-righteous and forgive each other, and live for God rather than yourself is what I’m taking away from 1 Kings.

I have many pages left in this book and then there is 2 Kings too, so we’ll see if my thoughts change as I go.

I’ve also come across what so far has been the most profound daily devotional since I began daily reading, Luke 6:12-38. Of all of it, the most meaningful is the very last sentence: “For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.” That really puts your opinion of others in perspective, doesn’t it? I assure you, this passage will have great impact on me for the rest of my life. More on Luke I’m sure when I get to the New Testament.

Well, I guess that’s enough for today. Thanks so much for visiting my blog, and please pray for me and my family. Now go out and hug somebody!

No comments: