Monday, April 06, 2009

Movers and Shakers


So Saturday was another day of work with the Movers and Shakers, the volunteer ministry that collects donated furniture and then delivers it to needy families. We had eight men working together for six hours; we made five deliveries and piked up donations at three stops. Here you see one of the trucks being loaded, the team in prayer before we drive off, a father and son working together to unload a delivery, and the mother and son who received the furniture on our first stop.

I had the pleasure of a sixteen year old boy's company, Roman, for a large part of the day. In our conversation I learned he and his dad, Mike, have been volunteers for this ministry for two years. Impressive, I think, that a dad would introduce his son to service at the age of 14, and that the son would be so moved by the experieince that he would stick with it for as long as he has. "I just like helping people," he told me. That was easy enough for me to understand, I like it too.

Yet at nearly 50, carrying sofas up a few flights of apartment stairs ain't as easy as it used to be, but working together we got the job done. I was tired when the day was over, but very happy to have labored for Jesus, and happy to have a few strong young men around to help us old guys.

Jill is on Spring Break this week and because she has been so sweet and understanding about me being away from home evenings and weekends for my service activities, I've promised not to work this week but instead to cater to her every wish. I'm sure you understand. Lord, I do love my wife!

Have a great week, pray for everyone you know, and be good to yourself too!


1 comment:

Ginny said...

Thank you so much for posting these wonderful pictures! The old saying that a picture is worth a thousand words is so very true. These pictures speak volumes! I see the faces of kindness, compassion, joy, servanthood, love.