Friday, April 03, 2009

Passing onto Others

This is an account of my efforts to put into action what I learn while reading the Bible, an account of my journey to become closer to God.

I was having breakfast with a gentleman who was complimenting me on my volunteerism, saying he envied people who are able to engage personally and easily with strangers. He explained he does not connect easily or comfortably with others. I happen to know this man is financially blessed and very generous with his money, giving large sums to many causes and very often making donations anonymously. I pointed out that God has given him the ability as an entrepreneur to make money, and the fact that he gives so much of it away is indeed using his gift to honor God. It doesn’t matter that he isn’t out in the sun roofing the old church; he saw that it needed a roof and sent the pastor a check.

When I got home I opened the workbook that I received when I went to the mentoring class last week and found a new verse that I thought was fitting for the conversation my friend and I just had, so I sent it to him. It was “God has given each of you some special abilities; be sure to use them to help each other, passing onto others God’s many kinds of blessings.” 1 Corinthians 12:7. “You are doing just what you are supposed to be doing,” I reassured him, and I believe that with all my heart.

Just what are our gifts and how do we use then to help each other? Your gift may be time, a talent, the ability to make money, the ability to inspire people in conversation or with the written word, or to care for the sick and helpless. I hope that by telling stories about the ministries I come in contact with and the people who work for or support them will inspire someone to volunteer, and if they cannot, to give in some fashion, money or the donation of goods and services, to further a Christian cause. My gift is the ability to write, but I’ve also discovered I’ve been gifted with lots of unencumbered time, so I give that away too, as much as I can. It makes me happy, and brings me closer to God.

I’m reading Luke right now and many of the thoughts on my mind and words that eventually make it to paper are inspired by what I’m reading in that book. I’m one-third of the way into this year, about one-fourth of the way through the Bible, and easily seventy-five percent changed. I’m so happy with the new me.

Speaking of the mentoring workbook, I also pulled out four phrases that I’ve posted on the wall above my computer:

Pray rather than worry.
Forgive rather than ferment.
Love with the heart of Jesus.
Leave the results to God.

Good advice, I think.

Tomorrow I’m moving furniture for The Movers and Shakers and trying to take photos and interview the other seven volunteers as well, so that will be my story on Monday. I hope you come back to read about how good it feels to put your back into action for the good of the Kingdom!

Well, I guess that’s enough for today. Thanks so much for visiting my blog, and please pray for me and my family. Now go out and hug somebody!

No comments: