Thursday, April 16, 2009

Reconciliation

This is an account of my efforts to put into action what I learn while reading the Bible, an account of my journey to become closer to God.

Gosh, so much to tell you…

During our Easter Sunday service our pastor kept talking about reconstruction versus reconciliation; he said our challenge as people coming to Christ is to forget about attempting to rebuild ourselves into good people (the “performance” philosophy, he calls it) but instead to seek a passionate relationship with God, asking Him to work within us and through us, to be reconciled with Him. It is only by yielding ourselves to God’s will that we can truly be the followers He wants us to be. As Jesus said in Luke, only God is good. Man alone can never be good for he is broken with sin. When I first really understood this (while reading Luke last when night sitting on a plane returning home from a meeting in FL) I was relieved. Wow, I don’t have to beat myself up with guilt for failing to be fully righteous. I can simply ask to be forgiven and then used for His purpose, and all is well thereafter.

Too weird to believe? Then read this: “Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things have passed away; behold, new things have come.” 2 Corinthians 5:17.

Speaking of a meeting in FL, I had the opportunity to spend a day with a small group of executives of a distinctively Christian company. They said the blessing before meals and as the corporate mission and plans for growth were discussed someone made sure the discussion was always parallel with biblical values. Another wow; I’d never been to a corporate meeting quite like that. It was good.

I’ve learned that Cameron, the young man I may mentor, is willing to meet me. Our first time together will be next Thursday for dinner – he, his mom, the mentoring facilitator, and me. A scary time for both of us I’m sure. I’ve never really spent that much time around boys, and he’s never had a male role model, much less an old fart like me. Please keep this meeting in your prayers and ask God to help me be the positive influence this twelve year old boy needs.

And on the note of prayer, remember my anxiety about praying aloud in public? Well I’ve been asked to join the board of a ministry and this past Tuesday I attended my first meeting. At the end of the meeting I was asked to close the session with a prayer. I nearly freaked out but then remembered the words of my long lost but found again friend when I told her I couldn’t ask for a blessing before our meal. “Yes, you can,” she said. So I bowed my head, they waited, and suddenly words came out of my mouth! No one burst out laughing so I suppose I did OK. So now I believe it more than ever – if you are filled with the Spirit, He will come out when He needs to.

Finally, I am now officially a Stephen Minister! Wow, that deserves a post all by itself, so I’ll save that for tomorrow. Tune in again, it was an incredible experience.

Well, I guess that’s enough for today. Thanks so much for visiting my blog, and please pray for me and my family. Now go out and hug somebody!

No comments: