Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Seeing More

This is an account of my efforts to put into action what I learn while reading the Bible, an account of my journey to become closer to God.

In the past I’ve mentioned Galatians 5:22, the verse that goes “But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.” Little did I know I was misquoting the verse. It actually is “… gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law.”

Dang, I was missing the best part if the verse! Imagine that – no law against being gentle, joyful and kind, yet we are so reluctant to be that way. So reluctant, in fact, that when we meet someone who demonstrates those characteristics, we either don’t think that person is authentic or we admire him as if they are he is very special. If only we understood those are the very characteristics the Great Teacher has modeled for us, and asked us to demonstrate those same characteristics in our own daily lives.

Another great verse I’ve been introduced to recently is Philippians 2:3-4. “Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves. Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others.” That captures the spirit of serving, doesn’t it?

Speaking of serving, this is a portion of the post about my time spent Saturday at the Convoy of Hope which I wrote for Touched By Service:

While I was scribbling down notes and quotes one gentleman walked up to me and asked if I was a reporter. “I have something to say,” he insisted. “I think a mistake churches have made is to be so vocal about the things they are against, instead of being vocal about the things they are for. To be here today serving others is to prove that churches can also be for something, something that everyone can see is good.”

The last volunteer I spoke with after interviewing many during two hours was a pastor. “We are helping people to believe that all good things come from God.” He paused and surveyed the hundreds of people surrounding us where we stood – children with full backpacks, moms holding smiling children with painted faces and sticky fingers, dads with fresh haircuts carrying bags of groceries to the car. When he looked back at me his eyes were moist. “We should do this all the time,” he concluded.

I learned later that 195 adults and children accepted Jesus that day. Yes, indeed, we should do this, serve, ALL the time.

Visit www.touchedbyservice.blogspot.com to see the entire post.

So often I’ve heard of read scripture but didn’t really absorb the meaning of the words. But last Saturday I spent hours witnessing something profound, hundreds of people serving hundreds of other people, and then on Sunday the two verses mentioned above were used in our lesson. Like never before, I got it, I absorbed it. Now I’m doing my best to live it.

You know, the more you open your eyes, the more you see.

Well, I guess that’s enough for today. Thanks so much for visiting my blog, and please pray for me and my family. Now go out and hug somebody!

No comments: