Monday, April 13, 2009

Something to Remember

This is an account of my efforts to put into action what I learn while reading the Bible, an account of my journey to become closer to God.

Whew! Jill and I returned late Saturday night from a four city book tour and are struggling to re-accustom ourselves to waking up with an alarm clock and return to a less gluttonous diet. We were in Dallas, Fort Worth, Austin and San Antonio where the sun is hot and the Tex-Mex is abundant on the plate!

In between signing books we managed to squeeze in a few points of interest, including Dealey Plaza and the JFK museum, a Longhorn Stampede (a sauntering amble, really), the world’s largest bat colony taking flight at sunset, and more. But what impressed us most is something we accidentally stumbled upon.

We were walking around San Antonio on an audio tour of the historic sites when we found ourselves on a Plaza crowded with people; I mean a huge crowd. It didn’t take long to realize we were standing in front of San Fernando Cathedral, the oldest cathedral in the U.S. it turns out. The day was Good Friday and we had just walked up to a reenactment of the Crucifixion.

A man who looked like Jesus was coming down the street dragging a cross on his shoulder, followed by guards who taunted him and beat him with whips. Eventually the man was made to lie down on the cross and he was nailed to it (Actually he held the spikes with his hands as they were driven into the cross and they became handles, but I don’t know how they did the nail in the feet thing – it looked like one was really in the placed in the center of his foot!). The cross was then stood up and placed in the ground, and the man hung there. He repeated Jesus’ last words but in Spanish so I couldn’t understand him, but I knew what was being said and I could tell from the tears on the faces of the people near me that actor’s delivery was passionate.

When the reenactment was over, everyone poured into the cathedral for a service. Jill and I stood in the back for a while to watch, and soon I saw a large bronze crucifix hanging on a wall above a bank of candles. People were taking turns lighting a candle and praying before the crucifix; many reached up to grasp the foot of Jesus while in prayer.

Not being Catholic and unable to speak Spanish, I didn’t understand much of what I witnessed, but being a Believer I knew what was being represented and celebrated, and it was a powerful thing to witness.

Easter Sunday Service at our own church was also powerful in its own way, but when my eyes rested on the wooden cross that had been brought to the stage for the service, I couldn’t help but visualize the man dragging the cross through the streets of San Antonio and eventually becoming nailed to it in the sun for all to see. I put a new perspective on Easter for me, one I’ll never forget about.

So the rest of my day is about catching up. I hope you have a great day in the service of the Lord who is risen!

Well, I guess that’s enough for today. Thanks so much for visiting my blog, and please pray for me and my family. Now go out and hug somebody!

1 comment:

Ginny said...

What a powerful experience...It's great to have you back!