Friday, May 22, 2009

36,000 feet

This is an account of my efforts to put into action what I learn while reading the Bible, an account of my journey to become closer to God.

You’ve heard me whine before about how I wish my blogs had lots of traffic each day. It’s the curse of being a writer - we want to be read. Now and then I am reminded that in my case the measure of worth of my words isn’t how many people read my posts. Rather, it is what results after someone has read what I’ve written. To that point, I received a note yesterday that was my Emmy, Oscar and Grammy:

“We applied for a grant from Perimeter's Kingdom Investments. Their board met last Friday, and it just so happened that one of the board members had read your blog about Good Samaritan. He shared with the others how he was moved by our story. Well, we got the grant, so I am writing to say thanks, and to share the good news.”

So you see (this message really is for me) sometimes having only one person read what you’ve written is enough.

My good cyber friend Ginny sends me words of encouragement regularly. I’m so grateful for her, knowing she will help me when I become perplexed during my journey. Here’s what she had to say recently:

“As you read (the Bible), remember that each book is there to serve a purpose, whether it be historical, poetry, praise and/or lament, prophecy, instruction. Also, remember that scholars have dedicated lifetimes to the study of the scriptures. There will always be things that puzzle the mind, but then that simply reflects on the massiveness and infinity of our God and the finite limitedness of our minds. We simply cannot fully comprehend all there is to know of God.

There are many things that we know without a doubt. God, in his perfection, created us. Because we all have sinned, we stand in need of a savior. By His sacrifice and incomprehensible suffering on the cross, Jesus paid the price for our sin. Through his conquering of sin by dying and then being raised, we are made perfect, clean, and pure in spirit before God’s eyes. We are to share the love of Jesus. One day each of us will die, i.e., our bodies will die but our souls, our true being, will be with the Lord for eternity.”

Well that just about sums it up nicely, doesn’t it?

In a plane nearly five hours yesterday, I finshed reading Esther, John, and began Acts. I loved John - straightforward and poetic at the same time. Interestingly, on each leg of the trip the passenger next to me saw what Iwas reading and wanted to talk about the Bible. Ironic, isn't it, how planes and God keep intersecting in my life. He is everywhere, even at 36,000 feet.

Well, I guess that’s enough for today. Thanks so much for visiting my blog, and please pray for me and my family. Now go out and hug somebody!

1 comment:

Ginny said...

Just sending along a smile for you my friend...