Thursday, May 28, 2009

Forgiveness

This is an account of my efforts to put into action what I learn while reading the Bible, an account of my journey to become closer to God.

I’m so delinquent in updating this blog, please forgive me. Somewhere between the chaotic activity that occurs in a home during the first days after the end of school and what I’m trying to accomplish with the eight ministries I’m working with, not to mention the paying jobs the Lord has blessed me with, I’ve simply not found time to write for this blog.

So let me hammer out a few words right now:

Sunday our lesson was based on this great verse, Colossians 3:12-13, “So, as those who have been chosen of God, holy and beloved, put on a heart of compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience; bearing with one another, and forgiving each other, whoever has a complaint against anyone; just as the Lord forgave you, so also should you.”

This spoke powerfully to me because I have been weak recently when it comes to having complaints against others. Without going into too much detail, let me just say we’ve all known a neighbor who may borrow a cup of sugar and then replace it with a pound, just as we’ve known those neighbors who may borrow a pound of sugar but never return to you so much as a teaspoon. I’ve been dividing these people into two groups: those I’d gladly loan more sugar to, and those for whom I wouldn’t answer the door.

In other words, I’ve been unforgiving of my debtors.

Jill has called me out on this a number of times, she is much sweeter than I am, but I’ve been stubborn and unwilling to stop considering some people as gracious, and others as, well, something else.

So that Sunday as I sat there reading the verse in the bulletin, and remembering much of what I’ve recently read in the book of John, I realized the sin of my ways and have resolved to open my door to whomever knocks. Yes, even if they want to borrow another pound of sugar, or need another favor which I suspect won’t be reciprocated, because I was reminded that God forgave us even though we crucified his Son. How can I, then, withhold grace over a paltry pound of sugar?

Of course I mean this figuratively, insert anything or any gesture in place of sugar and you get the same thing. Some people appreciate what you do and others don’t. But just as God forgives us again and again even though we prance around unappreciative of His blessings or disobedient of His word, we are called to forgive everyone.

It’s a tall order, but you can’t sing in harmony with the Heavenly choir if you don’t commit yourself to doing it. I’m trying. Please keep my efforts in your prayers.

I’ve been collecting great stories recently so please continue to check back. Soon I’ll have posts up about my afternoon spent with World Relief, an organization that helps relocate political and religious refugees, a conversation with pastor who was driven out of Bhutan because he converted from Hinduism to Christianity, an afternoon spent in the local food pantry, an investment fund that gives to Christian ministries, and much more.

Well, I guess that’s enough for today. Thanks so much for visiting my blog, and please pray for me and my family. Now go out and hug somebody!

1 comment:

Ginny said...

Another great post! One of the fascinating things about "Living the Word" is that we never, ever stop learning and growing. We never arrive at the place where we are perfect and have it all down. Some might find that a frustrating idea, but instead it keeps us in a constant state of openess and dependance on Him. The path towards "Christ likeness" is vibrant, challenging, costly and rewarding. We never run out of lessons!
Can I borrow a cup of sugar? :)