Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Making Noise

This is an account of my efforts to put into action what I learn while reading the Bible, an account of my journey to become closer to God.

It has been one of those string of days again – both girls home at the same time (Meagan came home from UGA to study for finals) running me around like their personal servant (I doubt I’d have it any other way) and our quarterly (literally) visit to the emergency room with Linley. Funny, it seems we’ve had a number of good conversations while sitting on a gurney waiting for a doctor to come into the room (nothing was broken, just a soft tissue injury).

I’ve taken to carrying one of my two Bibles with me when I know I’m going to have to wait; I pass the time reading. Yesterday as Linley and I sat I finished Luke and began to read John, and I came across one of my favorite verses, John 3:21, “but he that practices the truth comes to the light, that his works may be manifested that they have been wrought in God.”

I took the opportunity to chat with her about this verse. We agreed that it is indeed so much better for one to act Christian rather than just think Christian thoughts, as I had done for so many years. And we agreed that the Gospels are so much more enjoyable to read than most of the Old Testament. Perhaps it is because, as I read in John, that Moses was made to bring the laws, but Jesus was made to bring the message of mercy and grace to the entire world.

Why does that distinction speak to me? I guess because I’ve spent so many years as a rule breaker, a sinner, and if not for mercy and grace I’d have no reason for hope. I like hope.

As you know I’ve been on the radio a few times this week and more slots are being scheduled as we speak: two today, two tomorrow, and a long segment Sunday morning. The other day a DJ asked me what I do in between writing books. Before I realized it, I was talking about the ministries in which I serve. And last night during dinner a neighbor asked Jill and I about our church and the next thing you know we were having a theology discussion. So there you have it – on the radio, in the ER, and at the dining table – God showing up. Very cool.

At one time I thought to “make a joyful noise unto the Lord” meant to sing in the choir. I’m a terrible singer, won’t even do it in the shower, much less in church. So I’ve felt a little guilty for years that I don’t belt out the Gospel standards along with everyone else, but just recently I’ve absolved myself of that guilt. I think now that just talking about God when the opportunity arises is my joyful noise.

Mentoring update: Cameron and I getting along quite well. In fact I’m picking him up from school today and we’ll spend a little time together before I take him home, and on Saturday, his birthday, we have about four hours of activity planned. He’s asked if he can bring two friends along with us, and of course I said Yes. I’d like to think that means he isn’t embarrassed by me, maybe even that he wants to show off his mentor. I sure hope it doesn’t mean he’s already bored with me!

Well, I guess that’s enough for today. Thanks so much for visiting my blog, and please pray for me and my family. Now go out and hug somebody!

No comments: