Monday, May 11, 2009

Questions

This is an account of my efforts to put into action what I learn while reading the Bible, an account of my journey to become closer to God.

Thanks to everyone who purchased or recommended one of my books for a Mother’s Day gift! I really appreciate your support!

OK, it’s going to be a heavy Monday morning. I’m reading John and have already been confronted with one of the great questions that has poked at me since the days of undergraduate college, when I was taking a World Religions class (Gosh, that was no less than 29 years ago!). It was in John 5:28-29 that I found it again: “a time is coming when all who are in their graves will hear his voice and come out – those who have done good will rise and live, and those who have done evil will rise to be condemned.”

So here’s the question, or more accurately, the questions: When a believer dies, does his spirit go on to Heaven ahead of his body, or remain with the body until the Day of Judgment? If the spirit goes to Heaven at the time of our death, why do we even care about our body if we are already with God? When someone dies, why do we say “he’s in Heaven now,” if the spirit does not go to Heaven at the time of death? Do non-believers’ spirits remain dormant with the body until the Day of Judgment, or go to Hell ahead of the body?

And the toughest questions of them all: the verse says those who have done good will rise and live,” not “those who have been saved”. Does that mean those who have not been saved before death but who were good people acting in Christ-pleasing ways may also go to Heaven? Or is it implied that “done good” can only mean to have accepted Jesus as Lord and Savior?

My head’s spinning, how about yours?

I had coffee with a friend of mine last Friday morning and asked him these questions. His first answer was that if I planned to keep asking these kind of questions, I needed to submit them in advance so that he could prepare himself for our discussion. OK, that’s fair. But then he said something interesting. He pointed out that I am trapped in thinking of time along a worldly continuum, from one moment to the next, but that since God is the author of time, time bends to His will, much as a plot bends to my will as the author of a story. In other words, I shouldn’t worry about the when part, but only about whether I was living as if I wanted to live again, or if I didn’t care that I might be condemned.

That didn’t really answer my questions but it sure put things in a different, and more important, I think, perspective.

If you have thoughts on this string of questions, I’d love for you to share them with me.

On another note, Cameron and I spent Saturday morning together. We began at Chick-fil-a for breakfast, then played basketball, pool, ping-pong, air hockey, then went to Monkey Joe’s to climb and jump in inflatables, then to lunch for Chinese food, and finally to my house to meet Jill and Princess. Recognizing it was his birthday, I let him bring a friend along in case I became winded (I didn’t, but I did sweat a lot trying to keep up with them). During lunch his friend said something to the effect of “your counselor sure is nice.” To my delight, Cameron corrected him right away. “He’s not my counselor, he’s friend,” he said. I couldn’t help but grin.

Well, I guess that’s enough for today. Thanks so much for visiting my blog, and please pray for me and my family. Now go out and hug somebody!

No comments: