Friday, May 15, 2009

Rabble Rouser

This is an account of my efforts to put into action what I learn while reading the Bible, an account of my journey to become closer to God.

Man, the more I read the Bible, the more questions I have. I’ve now gotten through Ezra and will begin Nehemiah this weekend, and I’m nearly finished reading John. It is in John where my questions are raised. For example: the question I asked in Monday’s post about people rising from the grave, and now, John 9:41, “Jesus said, ‘If you were blind, you would not be guilty of sin; but now that you claim you can see, your guilt remains.”

Does that mean people who never knew God, either because they have never been exposed to Him (they live in the jungles along the Amazon) or they are unable to comprehend Him (babies and the mentally/intellectually challenged), and, therefore, because they did not know Him they could not reject Him, are not guilty of sin? Surely they sin, but are they held to blame if they knew no better? Is that what it means?

I cannot answer my question, it is beyond my understanding. But I can say that because I have knowledge, I know Him, I am not blind to Him and His work, I am guilty of my sin. Therefore I have a choice – to bow to the LORD, ask for forgiveness and try to turn away from my sins, or turn away from Him and sin with unrepentant abandon. I cannot do the latter, and I hope you can’t either.

On another note, I had coffee with a friend yesterday to discuss the book business and before long faith and church participation came up. She said she was a bit of a rebel in the church, stirring things up where she believed more attention needed to be focused and where too little of God’s work was being done. I think she was feeling unsure about being known as a rebel, but I encouraged her to embrace the reputation. After all, Jesus was the ultimate rabble rouser, shaking up everything, everywhere he went!

Cameron and I are spending the morning together again tomorrow; we plan to visit the King Tut exhibit and have pizza. It should be a good day.

I hope you all have a wonderful weekend!

Well, I guess that’s enough for today. Thanks so much for visiting my blog, and please pray for me and my family. Now go out and hug somebody!

1 comment:

Michelle said...

I used to be a Rabble Rouser. But lately I've been so caught up in Life I've hardly had the gumption to Rabble Rouse. Thanks for reminding me who I am.
:)
Michelle in WA