Monday, May 04, 2009

A Sign

This is an account of my efforts to put into action what I learn while reading the Bible, an account of my journey to become closer to God.

I finished reading 2 Kings last night before going to bed, and am eager to begin Chronicles later today. If I’m not mistaken, those two books are about the spiritual renewal of Israel; hopefully a more uplifting message.

The issue of spiritual renewal has been on my mind recently. In my current old age and effort to read the Bible, I’ve come to a deeper understanding of what it means to be a Christian. In my youth I thought it meant to behave myself, and in doing so, save my unrighteous butt from eternal damnation. But now I see that to live as a Christian is more than about saving my butt (actually, I can’t save myself, only God can do that, but you get what I mean in this illustration), it is also about - and maybe even more so - reaching non-believers and showing them a path to salvation.

So as I’ve given myself to the ministries I support, read the Bible as often as I can, pray and talk to God, I’ve also wondered if my conduct has affected anyone beyond the temporal gratitude they may feel after receiving the benefit of my gestures. The reason for my question is a selfish one, I know, but I’ve simply wanted a little feedback, to know with certainty that I’m accomplishing what God has asked me to do.

I’ve been afraid to ask God for a sign, believing to do so was to make it about me and not about Him, but then again he knows my mind and heart and even though I haven’t uttered a word of request for a sign, He’s heard me.

Lat night I put aside my Bible, turned out the lights and climbed the stairs to my office to check email one last time before crawling into bed alongside Jill. I found this:

Dear Mr. Lang,

I'm Rina from Indonesia, I'm 24 years old and working as journalist for design magazine. But I'm more comfortable to call me as writer :)

I wanna thank u so much. I'm so blessed by ur article 'Jesus is Rock Star'. Perhaps I needed to let u know how I could find ur article. I got it from Mr. Google. I, without any expectation, just typed Jesus is rock star and I got ur blog on top. I feel I'm blessed because ur writing is like talking to me and reminding me that Jesus accepts me as I am. At time I write the email to you, my mind is disturbed by many words that accumulate to one thing. That I'm not acceptable because I'm woman with tattoo on her back, it's cross tattoo though. Your writing strengthens me that Jesus loves me no matter what happen to me. I realize that my tattoo could be a mistake but not my life.

Thank you for the enlightenment, Mr. Lang. :)

Oh yes, do you have any advise for me how to be a 'kingdom' woman. Sumtimes I feel that I'm too stubborn.

Looking forward to your reply :)

Rina.

Wow, what a sign, and what a blessing technology really is if it can cause me to be of service to someone on the other side of the world. Thank you God for answering me, for loving me, and for using me as I’ve invited you to do.

Well, I guess that’s enough for today. Thanks so much for visiting my blog, and please pray for me and my family. Now go out and hug somebody!

1 comment:

Ginny said...

How precious and how powerful. I can't tell you how many times I'm reminded of how, as a teen, my pastor encouraged me to "get to know the Lord a little bit better every day." In getting to know Him, we realize that outward things that we fear might be barriers are of no consequence. It's all about our relationship with Him. Those outward things may have cultural implications, but, in the end, it's all about Him. Trusting Him...Loving Him...Sharing Him...Worshipping Him...