Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Timing

This is an account of my efforts to put into action what I learn while reading the Bible, an account of my journey to become closer to God.

I finished reading Nehemiah yesterday and will soon begin reading Esther. I was bored with Nehemiah at first, thinking it was another book of lists of names and jobs, but eventually realized it was much more than that. It is the story of how a city (or a family or an individual) can be restored in spite of what wretchedness led to its initial destruction. What a great promise that is to all of us, that we can fall way from God and into decline and decay, but also be restored to Him of we would only choose to honor and obey Him. It’s a message to me about how to better manage myself and lead my family.

It seems I’m coming to that conclusion over and over again – the Bible is the ultimate how-to guide. If only I had been more focused earlier in my life, if only I had the desire back then to follow His word as faithfully as I do now. I would have left a lot less mess in my wake.

Another Philippians verse was references in Sunday’s service that still rings in my ears, 2:3, “Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves.” My, oh my, that so clearly points out my most egregious sin. I spent years exalting myself. I have such shame for my former conduct, when I nearly always acted out of selfish ambition and vain conceit, nearly always with little thought for those I might injure along the way.

So often I tell Jill I wish I had met her sooner, but then in the next breath I tell her I’m so glad I didn’t. I sincerely believe she wouldn’t have been able to love me if she had known me when I was so stiff-necked and cruel of heart. Why God blessed me in the way that He did with the timing of my introduction to the woman who would become my wife I don’t know, but I’m so grateful that He did. Had I met her sooner, I’m sure I would have lost her. Thank you, God, you’re awesome!

Moving on: Cameron and I spent Saturday morning together. We had breakfast, saw the King Tut exhibit, ate pizza for lunch, and talked about his summer plans. Our list of things to do keep growing; it’s great for me because he wants to do a number of things I was never able to talk the girls into doing with me. Who knew I would have such a fine time with a twelve year old boy?

It’s going to be busy around here the remainder of the week. Cameron and I are hanging out this afternoon, his last day of school, I’m meeting with a filmmaker this morning to discuss working together on a project about the growing ranks of homeless people in Atlanta, I’m spending the day in Dallas with a client on Thursday (gotta fit the paying gigs in between the ministry gigs!), and Friday I’m visiting with the Atlanta affiliate of World Relief to learn about what we are doing for the refugees now living in Atlanta. And then add all this: I owe two stories to the blog I write for the church, I’ve been asked to begin writing periodically for the church bulletin, I have some photography work to complete for a ministry brochure, and I need to cut the grass! So I hope you will forgive me that I’m posting less than five days a week now, and I hope you’ll agree that actually doing His work is better than sitting around thinking about it.

Well, I guess that’s enough for today. Thanks so much for visiting my blog, and please pray for me and my family. Now go out and hug somebody!

No comments: