Monday, June 15, 2009

Battlefield

This is an account of my efforts to put into action what I learn while reading the Bible, an account of my journey to become closer to God.

We had a great service on Sunday, a continued discussion about Galatians 5:22-23 and the call to be unnaturally kind. Our Leader Teacher is making the point that anyone can be kind and good to other people who are kind and good, but the real work God asks us to do is to be kind and good even to those who are disdainful of us. To love the unlovable, to be benevolent to the undeserving, unappreciative and unreceptive, for to do so is to usher God’s Kingdom into the lives of those who don’t know Him.

To further drive home this point, we also reviewed Luke 6:35, “Rather, love your enemies, do good to them, and lend to them, expecting nothing in return. Then your reward will be great, and you will be children of the Most High, because he is kind even to ungrateful and evil people.”

This particular sermon was good for me because it answered a question I’ve been pondering for a week or more. I recently read of the dangers volunteers face every day working for an inner city ministry – carjacking, mugging, stabbings and shootings. Several volunteers have been hospitalized due to their injuries, yet most of them return to the ministry after they recover. I’ve wondered why; who wants to repeatedly put themselves at risk like that?

And then I listen to this teaching about unnatural kindness, and I get my answer. Those volunteers are doing just what Jesus did – he loved even those who drove nails into his hands and feet. This makes me think hard about the ministry work I’m doing. All of it is safe; all of it is for appreciative people. I haven’t decided yet I’ll move closer to the real battlefield, but I’m thinking about it.

Well, I guess that’s enough for today. Thanks so much for visiting my blog, and please pray for me and my family. Now go out and hug somebody!

No comments: