Monday, June 22, 2009

Day After Dad's Day

This is an account of my efforts to put into action what I learn while reading the Bible, an account of my journey to become closer to God.

I had the great pleasure of seeing Meagan and Linley during the weekend as part of my Father’s Day celebration. Linley is doing great at the camp in VA and Meagan is excelling as a UGA Bulldog! We’re pictured here at brunch yesterday.

My take away from church yesterday was this sentence that came after the baptisms that occurred; the Teacher was reminding the parents of their duty to be faithful themselves if they are to hope their children will fill their lives with Christ: “You can’t take them where you’ve not been.” Amen.

I’m reading Psalm and Acts right now and loving it!

The photos I posted on Friday are from the time I spent with the Project Kids Eat ministry. I had hoped to have that story written by now so that I could share it with you, but after spending 18 hours in the car in three days, I was too tired to get to it yesterday. I promise to have it written before the week is over.

And then I’ll write a story based on today’s activities. Cameron and I are spending the first half of the day moving the offices of Rainbow Village, the homeless shelter in our area. He and I have three visits planned this week; two are ministry work and the third is an afternoon movie. We’re getting along great! Thanks for your prayers on that front.

In closing, let me share this great note I received during the weekend:

I bought your book "Why Daughters Need a Dad" for my son for Father's Day. I read it and cried like a baby - not for my son and his beautiful baby but because I realized how much I missed my own Daddy.

My Daddy died almost 15 years ago at the age of 84. He was the most wonderful man I ever met. I wanted to marry him at an early age but my Mother told me I couldn't because he was already married. I figured she was just jealous and that I would marry him anyway.

As my Daddy walked me down the aisle on my wedding day he told me I could always come home and I knew it was true. It was truly unconditional love. No matter what I did, I knew may Daddy would still love me unconditionally.

When Daddy died I suddenly knew I could never go home again. I knew there would never again be anyone else to take care of me the way he did. Fifteen years later, I still shed tears for my Daddy.

Well, I guess that’s enough for today. Thanks so much for visiting my blog, and please pray for me and my family. Now go out and hug somebody!

1 comment:

Ginny said...

What a beautiful dad and daughter picture! So glad to hear you had a wonderful weekend!!