Monday, June 08, 2009

I Know Better

This is an account of my efforts to put into action what I learn while reading the Bible, an account of my journey to become closer to God.

And Monday morning it is….

Let’s begin with Cameron news. He and I are getting along great! I’m still entertaining him by going to movies (saw my first X-Men flick the other day) and such, but have also begun to sprinkle in a little man training now and then. So far we’ve repaired his bicycle, made a Home Depot run, worked in the flower beds, cut grass, and Saturday I had him with me for seven hours as I worked with the Movers and Shakers. There were two other men working as well, and Cameron seemed to have a great time horsing around with us in between loading donated furniture and later, unloading it all at the storage center. I sure do hope I’m leaving him with a few positive lasting impressions. I like the kid, and I’m benefiting from his company as well, getting to know what it must be like to raise boys, and remembering my own time with my dad way back then.

I’m actually typing a bit slow today; my right arm is a little sore. It looks like I was stabbed in the crook of my arm with a blunt object. Not really, but I did give blood during the service yesterday and I have the bruise to prove it. I’m Type O so was asked to give platelets instead of whole blood. They didn’t tell me the catheter was as big as a No. 2 pencil. I was happy to see many other donors in line, so many in fact it took over two hours for me to be able to give. I suppose the crowd was because, there in church, we all knew of the life saving power of blood – the blood of Jesus, that is.

Speaking of Jesus, I posted a new story today on Touched By Service about the investment fund at Perimeter Church called Kingdom Investments. As I posted it I remembered part of the story was about introducing Christianity to the Arab world with our partner church in Cairo, Egypt. This story follows just after the two part story I posted about World Relief, which included information about the conversion of Hindus in Bhutan to Christianity (the Michael in the post just after this one). So I braced myself as I clicked “post.” Who knows what would happen next.

You see, I actually got hate mail related to the World Relief story. It seems someone took bitter exception to what they called my “mission to convert Hindu and Buddhist refugees.” I was challenged to show my “true Christian stripes” by encouraging non-believers to continue in their own belief systems, and even “facilitate” that worship.

Pardon my expression, but when I read that email I scratched my head and said, “What the Hell?” It is more Christian to let others believe in their own gods than it is to lead them to the one and only true God?

To be honest, I was empathetic with this person. I, too, used to believe that as long as you believed in some god, any god, you were good to go. I thought it was the desire to be spiritual that counted and it mattered not if you were Christian, Hindu, Muslim, Buddhist, or something else. Just think holy thoughts and you were sure to go to Heaven.

That, of course, was many years ago, and certainly before I had ever made a serious attempt at reading the Bible.

Today, I know better. More on this topic through out the week.

Well, I guess that’s enough for today. Thanks so much for visiting my blog, and please pray for me and my family. Now go out and hug somebody!

No comments: