Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Speaking of...

This is an account of my efforts to put into action what I learn while reading the Bible, an account of my journey to become closer to God.

I had three radio interviews yesterday to promote my dad books for Father’s Day. Let this be your reminder to get your cards and letters in the mail if you aren’t seeing your dad in the flesh this coming Sunday. I’m seeing my daughter; Jill and I, along with her parents, are traveling to Athens to have lunch with Meagan so we’re having two Father’s Day visits at the same time. Jill and I are also traveling to Wise, VA this coming Friday – Saturday to see Linley at camp, so in effect I’m having two Father’s Day events – one with each girl, one right after the other. And, of course, I’m calling my dad on Sunday. Busy weekend!

Speaking of Sunday, Jill and I are taking a couple in the ‘hood to church with us on Sunday. This is such an easy step to take, inviting someone to go to church with us, yet one we’ve been delinquent in taking. I’m sure that now, as so often happens, after we do it once, it will be easier, even natural, to keep an eye open for those who don’t have a church home and then lead them to ours. Funny how the Holy Spirit works. Once you let Him in, He begins to sneak into all your crevices and shines a light in all the dark places.

Speaking of Jill, my dear wife has been a little slow in finding a place to serve. Well, I fixed that. My protégé Cameron is struggling with math, Jill is a math whiz, so, voila, Jill is now tutoring Cameron twice a week. My sweet wife rocks!

Please keep Cameron in your prayers. He is going through a particularly challenging time right now and needs all the support he can get.

Speaking of serving, I’m excited about a few things on my calendar. Yesterday I interviewed the two gentlemen who lead the prison ministry in our county and will have their story on Touched by Service very soon. Tomorrow I am spending the afternoon working in the garden of a home for adults with disabilities, Thursday I’m helping to bag lunches and then deliver them to homeless kids living in extended stay hotels in the area, next week I’m helping to move the office of a homeless shelter. I’m still working with a few people to coordinate getting an apartment complex in our area to accept refugee families from World Relief, Jill and I are beginning a book bag & school supply drive in our neighborhood next week (I knew once she got started she would love serving!), and I’ve decided to go to Leadership training for the Stephen Ministry. That should give me plenty of God stories to write for a while!

Speaking of God, our church is working hard to motivate people to serve this summer. To that end, I wrote something that was used in a handout listing serving opportunities, many of which I’m visiting in the coming weeks. Here’s what I wrote, feel free to use it if you have a place for it:

It is the lazy days of summer, the time to sit back, relax and not have a care in the world.

Or is it?

What if Jesus had taken a vacation from His work? Who might have remained lost if Christ had chosen to take time off and relax?

Let us remember those who cannot sit back and relax because in their lives every day is a struggle. Let us remember Jesus, his work and his sacrifice for us, and honor Him by serving others this summer.

Join us in the ministry of relief and evangelism. We encourage you to prayerfully consider how you can bring a little relief to someone who desperately needs it.

And finally, a confession about my reading of the book of Job: I’m having to read sections of it again and again. So much metaphor and so lyrical, it reminds me of classic Greek literature. I keep reading, but I think I need to find a study guide to help me get the most from it.

Well, I guess that’s enough for today. Thanks so much for visiting my blog, and please pray for me and my family. Now go out and hug somebody!

No comments: