Thursday, August 13, 2009

Book News

This is an account of my efforts to put into action what I learn while reading the Bible, an account of my journey to become closer to God.

At the request of a blog fan, here’s the scoop on my two new books. They are parallel books, one written for daughters, one for sons, each similar to the other but with gender appropriate language to distinguish them. Although titles have not been finalized, they will be something close to “A Letter to My Daughter” and “A Letter to My Son.”

Unlike my other books which have been a list of reason explaining the title, e.g. “Why a Daughter Needs a Dad,” or chapters that are really short stories conveying a morale, “Daddy’s Little Girl,” the Letter books are just what you might think, a letter of love, hope and fond memories that any parent might write to his/her son or daughter. Each is accompanied by black and white photos of parents interacting with their sons or daughters.

Here’s a short sample from the introduction of the son book, which explains why even though I do not have a son, I was led to write such a book:

“And now all these years later, years of saving, watching, waiting and praying, I still have high hopes and big dreams for the children in my home. I am not unique on that aspect of parenting, I’m sure. But as I’ve mentioned, one aspect of my parenting is different from the experience of many other parents. I do not have a son.

I’ve wondered what my life might have been like if I had also had a hand in raising a boy. When I’ve written about parent-son relationships it has always been from my perspective as a son, never as a parent of a son. When I’ve wanted to put myself in the shoes of a father of a son, I’ve thought of my dad and his relationships with his four sons, or my male cousins and their sons. Yet I know that this exercise has its limits. I’ve never taught a boy how to throw a football, catch a fish, start a lawnmower, or to be a gentleman.

Until now.

I’ve recently been blessed with the companionship and admiration of a twelve year old boy named Cameron. I am his mentor and he is my young, very male, friend. We watch movies with more explosions than dialogue, discuss cars, technology and girls (in that order), repair bicycles, work in the yard, and yes, I’m schooling him in the ways of chivalry.

I’m loving our time together; he’s giving me something my life might have otherwise gone with out – the pleasure and challenge of helping to raise a boy into a man. And as is the case with my girls, I want nothing more than to bring my best to that effort. I want him to be happy, do well, go far, and to remember me.”

I haven’t heard from my editor yet on whether or not I will need to revise this, but I’m pretty sure the end result will be very close to what I’ve described here.

Thanks for asking Michelle!

Well, I guess that’s enough for today. Thanks so much for visiting my blog, and please pray for me and my family. Now go out and hug somebody!

No comments: