Thursday, August 06, 2009

Head almost above water...

This is an account of my efforts to put into action what I learn while reading the Bible, an account of my journey to become closer to God.

Wow, it feels like it has been forever ago since I last wrote on this blog. I can’t believe I’ve been so busy in recently. Let me recap:

As I suspected, the doctor said I'm still deaf in my right ear. Oh well, I'm sure how this fits in with His plan will one day become clear to me. In the meantime, I sure am grateful to have one ear in excellent condition.

Jill went back to work in her classroom yesterday at the end of a mad dash we made to do all the things we had hoped to do before summer closed. Among them, we saw the Monet and Henry Moore exhibits, rearranged a few rooms in the house, took a few same day trips to hike in the woods at different state parks, and managed to squeeze in watching a few foreign films while cuddled on the sofa.

We also got Meagan moved into the home she now shares with two other students at UGA, and toted Linley all over Atlanta attending to the research assignments she was supposed to complete for her AP History class before the first day of school. And a pat on the back for Linley – she has recruited a young teen living down the street to go to church with us this Sunday.

Jill and I also delivered a truck full of book bags and school supplies that we collected during a week from the generous neighbors in our ‘hood. Thank you residents of Sweet Bottom Plantation (that really is the name of our little corner of the world)!

I’ve completed two new ministry interviews and have a third tomorrow, all of which I need to write up and post on the church blog, and then I move on to writing copy for our Christmas giving guide.

Cameron and I were able to take a few field trips in the last few days of summer, and this weekend we are spending a day delivering donated furniture to the poor. I’m trying to spend as much time with him as I can before he returns to school next week. I also mentioned him in one of the new books. I hope he likes what I had to say.

An aside – did you hear the latest Politically Correct bunk on Fox news this morning? Apparently a gang of textbook publishers run amuck have decided to ban a few words from new editions of textbooks. For example, I can no longer say “I am a upper middle class, able-bodied white American delivering donated furniture to the poor.” Instead, according to the knuckleheads exposed on Fox, if I were writing a textbook I would say “I am a non-disabled person of the United States now living above the poverty line and representing a race historically in the majority who is sharing furniture with those who are currently living at or below the poverty line.” OMG, gag me with a spoon!

OK, back on track – I’ve been meeting weekly with my Stephen Ministry care-receiver and I’m hopeful for him that our prayers are on the verge of being answered.

I’ve completed the first rough drafts of the two new books I have due, and am now only eight photos away from completing the photography portion of those projects. Thanks, God, for giving me these two new opportunities to share my thoughts on paper with the public. You have blessed me abundantly.

My Vietnamese neighbors are, I believe, reasonably settled into their new home. I haven’t been called upon to explain thermostats, fire alarms, sprinkler systems or homeowners associations for some time now. As I learned from my friends at World Relief, while it was like helping refugees, I was fortunate that my neighbors spoke English reasonably well. Imagine what a challenge it would be if that were not the case.

I am still reading Psalm, admittedly at somewhat a slower pace than what I’d like but I can’t help it given the pace of recent weeks. As soon as I finish the books I’m sure I can catch up in my reading and be back on track to finish reading the Bible before the end of the year.

One last thing. Wearing my freelance journalist hat, I recently interviewed a widow about her recently deceased husband. A scholarship has been created in his name and the sponsor of that scholarship wanted a profile story on the gentleman. As our conversation became more personal, she told me of how in his last moments she laid her head on his chest and recited Psalm 23. We cried when we prayed together at the end of our talk. Wow, it is powerful when you witness the depth of someone else’s faith.

Well, I guess that’s enough for today. Thanks so much for visiting my blog, and please pray for me and my family. Now go out and hug somebody!

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Can you tell us what books you are working on?