Tuesday, September 08, 2009

Cleaning Fish

This is an account of my efforts to put into action what I learn while reading the Bible, an account of my journey to become closer to God.

A few weeks ago I had an annual physical and found that my cholesterol was 220. My doc wanted me to consider taking a statin; I resisted, pointing to all my other indicators and insisting I was fine. We agreed that I’d get a heart scan to check for calcium deposits, and let that result dictate whether or not I go on a statin. I’m proud to report I have 0% calcium deposits. I have a clean heart.

I’ve been prancing around the house ignoring my wife and little bit whenever they’ve called into question my character, reminding them a man with a clean heart cannot be guilty of what they’ve accused me (or as W. Churchill would have said, “guilty of that about which I have been accused”).

That was before I read the book of Ecclesiastes, my read over this weekend. It reminded me of this: (Ecc. 7:20) “There is not a righteous man on earth who does what is right and never sins.” Wow, humbling, resetting, grounding. I’m sure to reread this book again and again during the coming years. I’ll keep my head straight and my heart well-meaning.

I’ve stopped bragging that I have a clean heart.

This moment of realization reminded me of a service a few weeks ago when the Teacher was talking about the wrongheaded Christian who compares him/herself to fellow Christians for the sake of ranking oneself above others and finding comfort in the thought of being a “better” Christian. He ended his lesson reminding us that we are all broken and sullied by sin; none are better than the other. He then reminded us that it isn’t our job to judge or save others. That job belongs to Jesus. Our jobs are simple and well defined – to love one another and introduce the lost to Him. He ended the lesson with a statement he imagined that Jesus might have told his disciples; “You catch ‘em, I’ll clean ‘em.”

That spoke very loudly to me. Amen to that once again.

Well, I guess that’s enough for today. Thanks so much for visiting my blog, and please pray for me and my family. Now go out and hug somebody!

No comments: